Author Topic: The proper finish to use  (Read 1928 times)

LHayes

The proper finish to use
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:34:11 am »
Hello,   I have been making some wooden 1" and 2" thick cars, trucks, etc. and wondered what others were using to seal the wood.  I will not be painting them, but thought it would be nice to put a coating over them.  I use poly for other items I make and was wondering if this would be safe for the children that will be playing with the toys.

Thanks,
Hawaiilad

tux_linux

Re: The proper finish to use
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:03:57 am »
Hey!

My Fairy Sticks are most times unsealed - kids love to paint them.

On other toys I use Clou fluid beeswax which has a really nice bee wax smell and is allowed with toys for children. It gives a simple, flush and matt finish.

You might want to check this thread: Looking for a food safe varnish
Because all food safe varnishes are also good for toys.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:26:04 am »
Often times I will just use Howard's Feed-n-wax.  It is a combination of beeswax and orange oil.  It will really make the grain pop!  It is available at most hardware stores.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
Hey Larry, In the U.S., all finishes are safe once cured. It is important to know when the finish is cured. That information should be on the label.
I use lacquer on the few toys I make. Polyurethane will work fine.
The concern has always been with lead and cadmium in some paints. These metals are not used in any paint sold in the U.S.
Dan In Southern California

LHayes

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:51:29 pm »
Thanks for the ideas folks.  I agree, if it is cured, it seems to be OK.  I am thinking of making kits of the cars and trucks for the kids to paint, and I will leave them raw.

Larry

oohlookitsarabbit

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »
If you are planning on selling your wood toys, be aware that the CPSIA is still on hold and under discussion. No one is sure yet what will be required of even small time hobby toy manufacturers. The rules as written would require third party lab testing of finished toys for every "production run" even if the manufacturer of the finish certifies the finish is nontoxic.

As long as the finish is made up on natural ingredients such as beeswax and oils or the wood is left bare and doesn't contain additives, my understanding is that the finished toy would be exempt from testing.

So, I have only been using a mixture of beeswax/jojoba oil on the toys I offer for sale on Etsy.

LHayes

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:36:50 am »
Took some of the wooden toys to the Farmers Market yesterday and only sold one car...did not have anyone ask me what they were coated with.  In fact, I have 6 of the 6' tables full of wooden items plus a whole wall of wooden trivets, and I only have people ask what the trivets are sealed with...tung oil or mineral oil by the way.  But I bought some beeswax today and I am going to boil up a mixture of mineral oil and beeswas and give it a try.

Hawaiilad

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:22 am »
Larry, Don't boil the oil, you only want to heat the oil to melt the wax.
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi