Author Topic: Storing Blades  (Read 4530 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Storing Blades
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:32:43 pm »
I keep my blades stored in plastic tubes with tight fitting lids. Each tube is labeled with the type of blade inside. I keep the tubes organized in a wooden holder. You can make it out of a piece of 2x4 or any hardwood. Mine is made from Mahogany.
I get my tubes from www.sloanswoodshop.com.
Dan In Southern California

yankeebum2

Re: Storing Blades
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:10 pm »
Nice setup Dan. I made mine with the same concept except I used PVC. No caps on mine. I like yours better. I handle mine with extreme care cause I know one of these days I will dump it. Gonna have to check sloans out and get better tubes.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »
As a scroll saw instructor and a member of a large woodworking club, I get asked frequently: How can you tell different blades apart? My answer is you can't. you have to keep them separated at all times. It is almost impossible to tell a #1 from a #3. By keeping them separated you will never have that problem!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:24 pm »
Nice setup Dan. I made mine with the same concept except I used PVC. No caps on mine. I like yours better. I handle mine with extreme care cause I know one of these days I will dump it. Gonna have to check sloans out and get better tubes.

Hey YB they have caps to fit all sizes of PVC and they friction fit pretty well, the nice thing is you can write on the PVC with a magic marker. One 20' stick of 1/2" PVC would cut up to about 40 six inch tubes, you could probably save up a bunch of wine corks as stoppers, the new plastic or the old fashioned cork.

(Won't work if you use boxed wine or the cheap stuff with screw caps, like someone who shall remain nameless but his initials are GrayBeard.)  ;D

You could probably find a dowl rod that would fit as well. Lots of alternatives.
No worries about breaking fragile glass tubes either!
I'm going to have to make one of these too before long.

Sorry GB I just couldn't control myself.  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »
I use Sloan's tubes also, but I made the holder to mount on the side of my RBI scrollsaw.  One less thing to go looking for & try to remember where I left it.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »
Bill, I used to have a holder mounted to the frame of my router table which is next to my saw. But I do so many demos and classes that it is easier to have my blade holder portable.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »
Hey Gabby, The blade tubes are plastic!
They cost 4.95 a doz. By the time you go out and buy pvc pipe and caps to fit, you could but two dozen!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:32:36 pm by dgman »

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:10 pm »
I built a wooden carousel type thing to hold pvc tubes. This sits near my saw with a few of the blades I am using for the project at hand.
I store my extra blades in a storage thingy with labels for each blade type.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:28:50 am »
Now THAT I like Katie, very organized!
Which I'm not, my shop always looks like a tornado just went through. I like the treasure hunt aspect of finding tools, that's half the fun.  ;D LOL  ;D
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:49:15 pm »
I have mine in a tool box, the tubes are cut lengths of pvc irrigation pipe.
A piece of mdf cut to fit with holes drilled to suit the pipe, a space on the right side for spares, tools and bits.
The other pic is at the saw and the clamps are loaded and ready to go.

The best thing I like on this idea is, it's easy to transport and if you knock it over the blades don't get mixed (Gabby).

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Tako Kichi

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
I like that blade holder idea. My saw uses adapters for pinless blades too and it came with a just one pair. My fertile brain just came up with some ideas for making my own after seeing your picture.

I could use MDF, nylon/Delrin or even aluminum and machine them on my tiny Unimat lathe/mill. MDF and nylon/Delrin are good as you can tap them for screws using a regular bolt with slits cut into it using a Dremel tool and a cut-off disc. If you put a squirt of CA adhesive (super glue) on the MDF threads it hardens them up and makes them last longer especially if you are repeatedly taking the screws in and out.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
I keep several Blade Clamps loaded and hanging alongside my saw for easy reach.

The different blade clamps are color coded so i don't have to guess what size blade I pick out in case they're put back in the wrong slot.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 04:17:26 am »
I built a wooden carousel type thing to hold pvc tubes. This sits near my saw with a few of the blades I am using for the project at hand.
I store my extra blades in a storage thingy with labels for each blade type.

Heck I just realized I have a couple of those carousels down in the storage building. Cut some holes in the top and I've got scrap PVC. They are made out of plastic but who cares if they do the job?
Still like your idea best Katie!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

RWEC

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »
I have a bunch of plastic tubes that I got for free where I work. 1" OD fit nice and tight in a scrap of wood drilled with a forstner bit and screwed to the side of my home made plywood saw stand.

I keep them in the sealed, numbered bags they come in with only the dozen I'm currently using open in the tube. Minimize loss if/when I drop them.

Hasn't happened yet but ...

Randy

eclectic57

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:24 am »
Actually, if you know anyone who does beadwork with seedbeads or crystals, quite often they throw away capped tubes perfect for blades. That is where mine came from. Put a note on the bulletin board at a local bead shop, maybe.

SMF

Teknoromi