Author Topic: Pattern Application - Works for Me!  (Read 6403 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Pattern Application - Works for Me!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 10:21:54 pm »
Dan!  They sell these things at Walgreen's called 'reading glasses'!

My eye Dr. just prescribed some for me last week! Seems I was using the wrong strength and now everything is much 'clearer' IF I keep the darn sawdust off!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

msdameng

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:29:55 pm »
I use a repositionable glue stick used for scapbooking.  Apply it to the pattern, attach to the wood, cut and pull off.  Sometimes the glue will leave a little residue on the wood but you can generally rub it off with your finger. 

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 12:50:07 am »
Check your local print shop / stationery store, for printable adhesive "paper" I wanted to put some cool decals on my RC Super Cub, and got some clear printable satin finish. Worked a charm and the paint on the plane showed through and made it look as though the images were painted on. But I did notice my printer ink wasn't water proof. Haven't experimented with the Canon ink, the old machine was a HP.
I tried the painters tape, adhesive spray, pattern, packing tape routine with a practice pattern Bill P. sent me. Worked great, no residue either.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03:13 am »
Dan!  They sell these things at Walgreen's called 'reading glasses'!

My eye Dr. just prescribed some for me last week! Seems I was using the wrong strength and now everything is much 'clearer' IF I keep the darn sawdust off!

~~~GB~~~

My eye Dr said go to the dollar store and pick up 1/2 dozen and leave em all over your shop.  Great advice.  I always have a pair handy.  Only $1.00 a pair and if break em or scratch em I toss em.  I found out he has a shop as well.  He does ceramics though.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:38:45 am »
Hey Dunk...I have them scattered all over the house! At least one pair in every room and several in the shop!
And just to be safe i have one hung around my neck most of the time!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

James R

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »
This tip is for those that may still be looking for an effective way to apply patterns.

I had been using the method Steve describes in his blog, spraying the back of the pattern with adhesive and applying it directly to the wood.  After cutting, I usually applied heat to get the pattern off cleanly, but there was always some adhesive residue left behind, which I sanded off.  This worked, but I wanted to try something different.

In another thread, I read where someone suggested using shelf paper.  Made sense, since shelf paper is designed to be easily removed leaving no residue.  I think it was in the same thread that it was asked about whether you could print directly to the shelf paper.  I doubted it, but decided to try it out for myself.  I picked up a roll of white shelf paper at my local Wally world, cut a few 8.5" X 11" sheets from it and inserted them into the paper tray of my  HP inkjet printer.  I emphasise the "inkjet" part, because I figured this is where the printing problems would occur.  I printed out two patterns.  After about 5 minutes, I swiped my finger across a corner of the pattern, completely smearing all the ink, leaving nothing behind resembling the pattern that was there.  As I suspected, the ink wasn't even a little bit dried.  I waited an hour and tried again, with the exact same results.  So, I decided I'd let the patterns sit overnight, and see if they were dry in the morning.  Although they were somewhat drier, they still smeared VERY easily, so I came to the conclusion that printing directly onto shelf paper with an inkjet printer was not going to work.  At least not with HP ink.  I know from experience that EPSON ink dries faster than HP ink, but my EPSON printer kicked the bucket almost a year ago.  Maybe someone with an EPSON printer can post their results.  I have a laser printer, but it's in storage, and I'm not sure if the shelf paper can handle the heat used to bond the toner to the paper.  Will let you know when I test this out.  It's an old laser printer, so I don't care if the shelf paper melts inside, at least I'll be able to relay the results.

Anyway, since printing on the shelf paper didn't work out, and I still wanted to use the shelf paper, I decided to print the pattern to regular paper, then use the spray adhesive to attach it to the shelf paper.  Then, the shelf paper can be attached to your blank.  The first pattern was also covered with clear packing tape, but the second wasn't.  I noticed no difference in the cuts between the two, however it was only 3/8" BB ply and didn't exactly put much of a strain on the blades.  Still, when I finished cutting both patterns, I was able to simply peel the remainder off, with absolutely no residue left behind!  Easy peasey! 

I will definitely be applying my patterns with the shelf paper from now on!  If I find an effective way to print directly to the shelf paper, I will let you know. 

Sorry this is so long winded, but I wanted all interested parties to know how my trial and error attempts led me to doing it the way I now do.  Hopefully, someone find this info useful!  ;D 

I did a quick search and found these http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/386934/3M-Color-Printing-Labels-8-12/;jsessionid=0000-HX1cDP7ndjMylAqWyuYErV:13ddpq53l

Tako Kichi

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
I did a quick search and found these http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/386934/3M-Color-Printing-Labels-8-12/;jsessionid=0000-HX1cDP7ndjMylAqWyuYErV:13ddpq53l
I just looked at that link and noticed that the package says "Permanent Adhesive". That might not be a good idea if you want to get the pattern off again after cutting!  :o

You could of course wrap the wood in painter's tape first and then apply the label.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »
Most label stock WILL become 'permanent' if left on a long time...BUT...Permanent Adhesive is very aggressive and it means permanent from the start!
Take it from an old printer who was in the business when pressure sensitive stock first became available about 100 years ago!

NOTE: I also remember, carbon paper in several colors, 'onion skin' and the original Xerox machines!!!

~~~GB~~~

Mainewoods

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24:38 am »

My biggest problem with the printable self adhesive sheets is the cost.  Those listed in the link at @$14 means 70 cents per page.  The premium photo paper I use doesn't cost me that much, and they don't get cut up and thown away.  At $4 a roll, the shelf paper was just a much cheaper way to go.  If money were no object, I'd definitely go with something like that, but I need to hang on to as many of those dollars as I can.  ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »
I hope I don't step on toes but Sloans has a printable adhesive paper for your patterns. http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/misc_.htm Hope this helps.. Sheila

Their prices are good, the stuff I used for my decals was a buck a sheet, but I wasn't buying very many and didn't need a whole pack.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

SheGold

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 10:35:44 am »
Check this site out.. Many of you have mentioned them... http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/misc_.htm

SMF

Teknoromi