Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 85115 times)

Offline New2Scrolling

• View Profile
The newbiest newbie EVER!
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2020, 09:38:49 am »

Hi Everyone! I am the newest newbie to probably hit this thread in a long time! My dad was, IMO, a master - his work back in the late 90s looked like wooden lace - it was beautiful!  He was a carpenter by trade, and when he retired he found the scrollsaw and Victorian fretwork. His last scrollsaw was a DeWalt 788 and the one I just brought is, yep -- DeWalt 788! I didn't realize that until I ran across a photograph of my dad with his new saw. 

My saw is still in the box, I'm waiting to unbox it when I find a stand that's reasonably priced (I have several Ebay watchlists going) Anyway, I hope to be able to at least do some cute things I have in mind and cut out some of the designs I've created with my new scroll saw. Hopefully, my dad will be watching over my shoulder to steer me. 

I'm also in need of a scrollsaw mentor and Mr. Good's videos and his shop sort of reminded me of my dads shop --- so I'm ready for begin trolling the posts and looking for a wood sensei to help me find my timber-zen!  ;D

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Welcome
« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2020, 09:13:43 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
Steve Good puts out a new pattern almost daily so, you will always have something to cut or something to inspire new ideas.
You can always ask questions and get some good answers and the members are knowledgeable, helpful, and non-judgmental.
Enjoy yourself, show us your projects and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Gdmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 14, 2020, 03:40:11 am »
Garry from Pittsburgh Pa, thanks for the forum. was having a hard time getting started so much to learn. Not much progress so far. being 80 years old iss not helping but i am willing to try my best.

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2020, 09:57:20 am »
Garry, welcome to Steve's forum from another Gary looking at my early 70's in the rear view mirror.  I am now a tortoise.  I'm always slow and on good days making steady progress.  I started scrolling a couple of years ago .  If you are not using it, I would suggest Youtube on the net for countless tutorials on scrolling.  Visual learning is so much faster for me.  Regards > GLC in Cypress, Texas.

Offline masslumber

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2020, 12:02:47 am »
Hello, my name is Joe Massena and I'm from hermantown,mn. I have an excalibur 16 inch scrollsaw that I am selling and I  also have a jet 18 inch saw. I am fairly new to scrolling but have done some and would like to get into portraits and that sort of stuff. this looks like a great site!

Offline Ionescu

• Bine v-am găsit !
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:13 am »
Sper să discutăm  și să īnvăț de la membrii forumului.

Offline Grampa Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2021, 04:54:59 pm »
Greetings. I'm grampadragon (sorry my grandsons idea) I'm very much looking forward to participating  win the scrolling community.
hope you will bear with me on this thing as when it comes to the computer I'm more of a dinosaur than a dragon. Oh and you can shorten the name
to gramps or dragon whatever you like

Offline crshedd

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 24, 2021, 01:01:06 pm »
hollo all and a special shout out to steve for starting and maintaining this forum.
i'm crshedd and i will be starting to scroll in about 2 weeks. leaving very soon to visit kids and will start when i get back.
i do have one question
     can you scroll on foam board? i'm interested in mostly 1/4" but i would like to check first.
thanx for your time and this site.
sorry. i keep tipping over.

Offline Joe Wolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 06, 2024, 09:46:36 am »
Greetings! I'm Joe Wolfe and I have been scrolling off and on since around 1995. After retiring in 2012 I have gotten more serious about the craft and thoroughly enjoy it. I am always looking to learn something new and challenge myself to get better at scrolling. I  look to build on scrolling by adding intarsia to the projects I wish to make.
      Two years ago I upgraded to a Seyco ST-21 after literally wearing out two entry level scroll saws. It has been a game changer for me.
      My thanks to Steve for starting this forum and for all he does to promote this art form. He is a wealth of knowledge and has made me a better scroller through his blog and YouTube videos. I am here to learn. I am also willing to help any newcomers to scrolling if I am able. Feel free to reach out to me. Happy Scrolling!!
JWolfe

SMF

Teknoromi