Author Topic: Steves Dust setup  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Steves Dust setup
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »
24 ft x 14 ft.  It used to be my jester studio.
I'm from North Dakota

Chachi

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 01:02:00 pm »
WOW!!!! can I move in with you? Lmao my shop is only a tiny square of what you have...

Chachi

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:21 pm »
my question is: isn't the vacuum getting to hot and therefor what is the risk on getting fire?

I'm not sure but I belive that is the reasons for the baffle bottom and the air holes in the back he did say they 2" holes so with ample air flow I don't forsee a problem with over heating just MHO.

tux_linux

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:37 pm »
thanks Judy!

be patient with the vacuum cleaner, the filter will not keep the dust out of the engine.
There are quite some handymen out there, who had to become aware of their burning vacuum cleaner.

I bought an industrial vacuum cleaner, which is able to handle the dust. But that one is much more noisy.

I think I will try to produce such a cyclone extractor system as seen in the how-to @ instructables.com.
It's a combination of the cyclone-system and a low noise setup. Both something I'm looking forward to have - no noise and no filter paper.

regards
Torsten

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:21 pm »
Thanks for the reaction.

know that the holes are big enough for the airflow, but a 1500/2000 Watt engine produces also a lot of heat.
especially when the bag is almost full the engine has to work harder which increases the heat.
in the video the vacuum engine was on the top, so the heat is gathering/increasing in the top of the box.
I'm not a pro but as far as I know, when building electrical equipment in to a closed space overheating is a risk.
on top of that, you have dust, hot air and sparks from the carbon brushes in a closed box, could there be a small risk on "dust explosion"?
I don't know if this is a problem, might not be a problem at all.
I am precautious and curious to your opinions.

better safe then sorry is my motto. ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 05:27:23 pm »
Thats a possibility Marcellarius.
Mounting a small fan inside the box might help with circulation thereby helping to keep dust from concentrating enough to catch fire from the brushes. But theres always the possibility of static electricity building up which can also ignite dust. Although I've never heard of it actually happening it is a possibility. Thats why alot of people ground their dust collection systems.  Another thing to consider (according to my conversation with shopvac customer service today) is the recommended running time of any single stage shopvac motor is 45 minutes with an hour "cooling off" period.  Running for longer periods at a time can result in the motor burning out or possibly fire. The larger industrial vac with a 2 stage motor can run continously. 

I hope this helps

tux_linux

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »
you have dust, hot air and sparks from the carbon brushes in a closed box, could there be a small risk on "dust explosion"?

No, I don't think this is a problem here. The air in the box is floating undirected and there should be a absolute minimum of dust in the box's air.

It is a problem if one uses plastic pipes (drip molding ones) to exhaust the dust. NEVER DO THIS!
This needs metal pipes including grounding. Using plastic ones is dangerous!

regards
Torsten

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »
This the set up I have shown before, all I have is a domestic vac that was given me that has a cloth dust bag that I clean every couple of days as the fine dust clogs it very quickly, the rest of my machinery I have a full size 2 horse power dust extractor and that is connected by a 4" hose to all my dust making machines, my planer and bench saw I use out side
Jimbo

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 05:33:26 am »
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Chachi

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 08:44:54 am »
Good work SawdustDave. Oh well when I posted it I thought it may have been a good Idea but now I stand corrected thanks for the heads up.
Good thing Steve posted this I was going to build one as soon as it was warm enough in my shop.
This is why this is one of the best forums out there (MOHO) Thank you again Steve and Sawdust Dave I agree with Steve don't worry about the floor till your done or take a break...

tux_linux

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 08:57:54 am »
hmm... this gets me thinking too. I don't know.   ???

regards,
Torsten

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 10:24:27 am »
I did ask the Vacume Cleaner guy ( not just a sales man but general all around about vacs)   I explained what I wanted it for. He said the canister wouldn't overheat inside of the styrofoam box.  I have checked after use and it doesn't seem to be any warmer than my upright household vac after doing the carpets.  Is there a difference between shop vacs and household vacs?
I'm from North Dakota

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 11:28:31 am »
A household vac runs alot cooler than a shopvac by design so it probably requires less air flow to keep it cool. But thats only an observation on my part.

SMF

Teknoromi