Author Topic: Now on to the next...  (Read 2094 times)

Rightarm

Now on to the next...
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:46:26 pm »
    Now that Christmas is over. I promised my wife that I would get started on her project. A pie safe. I've had the plans for awhile now. First I'm going to build a new work bench, rearange my garage a little, then start on the pie safe. I think I'll do it using cherry. And instead of tin for the panels, I'm going to use copper. What do you all think? Dave 8)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Now on to the next...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:17:41 pm »
Seems like a worthwhile project and should be very nice when finished.

I like the Cherry/Copper combination!

Be sure you take "Getting it done" pictures!

And it always good to keep the 'bride' happy!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:42:17 pm »
Hey Dave, That actually sounds good! Copper panel on Cherry. I made a pie safe for my wife many years ago. Instead of a punched tin panel I used a raised panel. She uses it for quilt fabric storage.
Dan In Southern California

Rightarm

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:22:47 pm »
    I might use glass for the top doors. Maybe, I really don't know what its call. But it looks like old glass. A glass shop here in Terre Haute sells it. Then put the punched copper in the bottom. Dan, thats what Chris is into. She makes quilts. So I'll play around with the idea about the glass for the upper doors. Don't know yet. Still in the planning stage. Dave 8)

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 08:22:48 pm »
My next project is going to be a cabinet for our DVD/Blu-ray movie collection. A little over 600 movies.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:49:11 pm »
Rightarm,  We have an antique "safe" with oak doors on the bottom and oak framed glass doors on the top.  In that arrangement it isn't a pie safe, it's called a "jelly safe" or so we have been told.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

cherie

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:04:30 am »
What is a pie safe?  I have never heard of it.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:38:48 am »
Cherie, A pie safe is a cabinet used to store pies and other baked goods.  It generally has punched tin panels in the doors for air circulation.  They have been around for hundreds of years.  It kept bugs and mice from getting to the baked goods.  They are very popular in country kitchens.  They also have been called jelly cupboards.  My stepmother has one that has been in her family for almost 200 years.

Rightarm

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »
    Cherie. Julie's right. My mother had one that I refinished. She gave it to my little brother, and he sold it. It's just a cabinet, that Chris will store things in. She has always wanted one. She is in to country furnishings. Dave 8)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »
The safe is the easy part - finding a lock to keep people out can be tricky.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

cherie

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:38 am »
Guess I have never seen one.  But anyway, that will be an amazing gift to her.  Can't wait to see photo's of it.

SMF

Teknoromi