Author Topic: EX 30  (Read 716 times)

Bill P

EX 30
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:54:46 am »
I'm so excited, the saw arrived yesterday!  The bad news is I have to work today, so I can't really play until tonight.

I assembled the stand and bolted the saw onto it last night, but when I sat down I found I had to spread my knees apart so much it was uncomfortable (I'm only 5'5").  Does anyone know if the stand will still be stable if I take out the the piece that would allow me to put my knees under the saw, or should I build a tri-pod type stand?

Thanks, Bill

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: EX 30
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:23 am »
I have the EX21 and, although I stand most of the time, I do use a stool to work sometimes.   You must have set your stand low to accomodate your chair.  I would imagine you could bore a couple holes higher up on the legs and get a piece of angle iron and mount it higher.  I wouldn't go without some type of cross bracing on the front.  Another possibility is to make and X across the front but that might still interfere with your legs.

Bill P

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:52:26 am »
You're right about my reasoning; I have a stool that looks like the saddle for a Harley, on wheels.  I like to keep by feet flat on the floor while I'm sitting.

I was looking at it this morning before coming to work and was thinking about moving that cross piece back about a foot.  That shouls still give the support needed, and leave me leg room.

Any engineers out there with any thought?

Bill

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:09:31 pm »
Take a picture and post it and let us see how it is made.

Do you know any 'sheet metal' workers?
How about a welder?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Bill P

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:08:35 pm »
I feel silly.  When I read your post, GB, I remembered that my next door neighbor is a retired Naval engineer.  I just went and got him and he looked at it and had a remedy.  Now he's excited about his new project!

He's going to fabricate an arch to take the place of the cross beam.

Thank you!

Bill

SMF

Teknoromi