Author Topic: Changing Focus  (Read 1138 times)

dankc908

Changing Focus
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:34:46 am »
In fact, we are shutting down our craft show participation for MOST of our products (aprons, towels, centerpieces, etc.) and selling our grids, carts, and cargo trailer.  I will, now, move towards pens, scrolled clocks, and other turned and scrolled items with a simpler table display.  I want to move from a 4+ hour setup and a 2 hour tear-down to a 30-45 minute setup and a 20 minute tear-down.  I am, also, going to only do one-day shows that are no more than one hour away (hence, no motel).  I want to travel to and from the shows in our 'mini-van' rather than a 3/4-ton diesel pickup hauling a trailer.

What we had done, in the past, had become too broad, too big, and too unmanageable.  By moving in this direction I am hoping to focus more on the hobby side of turning and scrolling and less on the difficulties of "big-show selling".  Please do wish me luck.  Any advice re: this change would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Changing Focus
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:57:37 am »
Dan, I have always done one day only sales.  Partially, because I can't make multiple days of inventory and the other part is the set up and tear down.  I am usually by myself.  I have gone in with other people on multi-day shows and have not had great success.  My only suggestion is to find the festivals and shows with a good history.  Check with the chamber of commerce to find the ones with the best traffic.  Usually, if you go into the chamber office, there are brochures on many of the towns surrounding the town you are in and if they have a big anual event it is in the brochure.  Also, around here, there are events that are repetitive.  Like the second saturday of each month.  If there is a good one of those around you, those are great because you get repeat business.  They look for you to see what is new.

igadavis

Re: Changing Focus
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:05:50 am »
It looks like you are not forgetting that a hobby is supposed to be fun.

I wish you luck and have fun.

SMF

Teknoromi