Author Topic: Help - sheets of laminent  (Read 2534 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Help - sheets of laminent
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 07:26:56 am »
OK - After some time messing with it, I have come to the conclusion that it is more trouble than it is worth.  My hands are sliced to shreds.  Too much prep.  Glue, press, wait, tape, apply pattern, pray.  When putting it back to back to make something - a regular blade chips out the bottom.  A #0 reverse tooth did ok, but I dropped one piece and it cracked.  Can't sand that out.  The edges are too sharp and the corners are dangerous.  It was worth a try, but  -  no thanks.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 09:56:21 am »
After reading your last post you must be working with formica. The only thing you can use it for is a decorative backer for your work.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Dawie

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 03:07:53 pm »
The keychains I posted today are cut from laminate. I like the way it cuts. Very smooth cuts. I have none of the problems mentioned, so maybe laminate here in the Netherlands is different to that in the US. I never put anything under it and have not really paid attention to which blades I use to cut it, know I have used both falt and spiral.
David
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:12:17 pm by Dawie »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »
Hey David, Turns out what Julie has is Formica. Its used for counter tops and is usually laminated to a plywood or mdf or something like that.
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 01:06:44 am »
Thanks dg. Formica is no fun to cut, tried it only once right at the beginning.
David

SMF

Teknoromi