Author Topic: New scrolling problem for me.  (Read 293 times)

Offline dsrussell@comcast.net

• View Profile
New scrolling problem for me.
« on: January 27, 2024, 08:02:29 am »
I have been scrolling for several years and dearly love the hobby. I have recently developed a problem that I can't figure out what is causing it. While cutting on thicker wood, 1 1/2", mainly numbers or letters, the piece will not fall thru from either side.  I have insured that the table is 90⁰ to the blade. I feel sure that it has something to do with force, but I make a conscious effort not to force the cut but the piece will not easily come out in either direction!  Using flying Dutchman #5 SR blade. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: New scrolling problem for me.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 09:24:35 am »
Are you using a different wood?Some woods create dust differently? Or is the wood Bone dry? The slightest bit of moisture can cause swelling just from
the blade movement.  Just my thoughts  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline ddockstader

• View Profile
Re: New scrolling problem for me.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 03:17:00 pm »
Most likely culprit - sideways force. Inadvertently pushing the wood to the side, usually while making a turn. This bows the blade since both the top and the bottom are held in a straight line. Once you get a piece out, check that the sides are really straight with a good straight edge. This is my biggest problem with the scroll saw and I am constantly fighting it. I've taken to completely releasing the wood every 5 seconds or so to make sure I'm not pushing one side or the other. Unfortunately I don't have the automatic indicator that my wife and kids have - sticking my tongue out when I'm concentrating too hard. :)

SMF

Teknoromi