Author Topic: Latest project - House warming sign for gift  (Read 575 times)

Offline garryatpa

• View Profile
Latest project - House warming sign for gift
« on: April 30, 2022, 12:54:44 am »
Latest project - House warming sign

My latest project is a house warming gift a that a friend has requested I make.  The wood is a cutting board which they picked up at a “Winners” store locally.  Maybe not a well known source of wood for sawing but they have some beautiful cutting boards , trays, etc that can supply excellent scroll saw wood.  This one happens to be 3/4 inch Olive wood and is about 10 x 18 inches.  My friend gave me the rough design they wanted on the board and with a few tweaks and changes came up with the final creation.   The “Home Sweet Home” is raised by tilting the saw table to 4 degrees.  Because the name and date are a smaller font sawing to raise the lettering would not work so I cut them out with the table flat as I would normally do for sawing fretwork.  The size of the house , however, allowed me to again raise the portion that is the gable end of the roof and recess the door to add interest.  The outline for the house walls and base is first sawn with a # 5 Pegas MGT blade then followed up with a #2 spiral blade to widen and make this viening cut stand out .  The top edge of the Home Sweet Home is rounded by sanding and the raised and recessed parts are then glued in place.  The door sticks through the back when recessed so I saw the back portion off with a flush cut hand saw.  I still have a bit to do to finish this - put a backing on using 1/8 inch plywood, install a sawtooth hanger  and decide on what to use for a finish.  I was not sure how it would turn out with the number of knots and grain the way it is but it all held together and turned out quite well so far.

Garry

Offline ALG

• View Profile
Re: Latest project - House warming sign for gift
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 01:25:46 pm »
Nice   Very Nice

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 12:31:39 pm »
Very clever the way you raised the roof. Made good use of the wood given.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 07:58:55 pm »
Well done! Thanks for sharing!
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Marshall Border

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 08:30:53 am »