Author Topic: Not sure what I was intending to make, but it did turn out interesting!  (Read 891 times)

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
Hello All,

I decided to make my partner Rick a gift for valentines day, but was not sure what I wanted to make. I started out with one of Steve's heart patterns, but decided to try and glue the letters I had cut out back into their holes in a raised relief fashion, but it was my first attempt at using CA glue and I had no idea how quickly that stuff sets up even before you spray the activator! So I decided to use up some veneers that a friend gave me (which I have also never worked with before lol) to make a better contrast on the letters as well as cover up a couple of letters which were slightly crooked due to the fast set up time of the glue. That was when I learned that use a scroll saw to cut rough-edged home-planed veneers is a recipe for quite a few shattered letters along with a few cuts to my hands. So by the time I was done with making the heart I decided that I had to make something better than what I had just created to accompany it lol. So I decided on making a box. Probably should have looked up how to Make a box first; but I was inspired by using blue pine for the first time and so decided to wing it. As you can see, I created a box reminiscent of early 1960's architecture...but at least I did much better at attaching the veneer to the lid of the box than I did to the letters on the heart! When he saw what I had made him, Rick did have tears in his eyes, but it's a toss up on if they were from mirth or joy! Highly enjoyed "inventing" both pieces though! 😉😊
Nicole

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: Not sure what I was intending to make, but it did turn out interesting!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:37:20 am »
I'd say you made what you intended - a treasure for the ages.

Offline smyrna5

• What's another word for Thesaurus?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:52:57 am »
Very nice

Offline Bluebird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 11:34:36 am »
Turned out very nicely. The grain of the blue pine looks very interesting. There must have been tears of joy.
How big is the box?

Greetings

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 12:16:59 pm »
Looks good, love working with Blue Pine.

Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 12:53:12 pm »
The top of the box measures 7" x 5.75" and the base (as well as the inside measurements of the box) measures in at 5.5" x 4.25". I had the crazy thought that it would be easier to place on a desk with limited space availability that way. I guess that is true as long as the other objects on the desk are 5/8" or under lol. The inside of the box is 1.5" deep.
Nicole

Offline Marshall Border

• View Profile
Fine job in my book ....
Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

SMF

Teknoromi