Author Topic: My First Project - Valentine for My Wife  (Read 546 times)

Offline smyrna5

• What's another word for Thesaurus?
    • View Profile
My First Project - Valentine for My Wife
« on: February 12, 2022, 06:39:04 pm »
This is my first scroll saw project. A Steve Good Pattern

Cut it today on my Porter Cable with a #5R Reverse Skip blade. Its scrap wood 1/2" (pine I think) from a salvaged old dresser drawer. Some of the cuts look like a beaver chewed them, but I was happy I only broke one blade pulling it out of a cut hole. There is a learning curve to this hobby  for sure. Looks like I have to do some sanding and finishing and get a candle tin before Valentine's Day.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 06:47:55 pm by smyrna5 »

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Re: My First Project - Valentine for My Wife
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 09:43:27 pm »
Nicely done. Letters are always hard to cut... even for a seasoned scroller. If you have a heavy blade (#5 or larger) you can glue a piece of sandpaper around the blade and use it to knock the uneven cuts away. I usually use a blade that is dull. Cut a strip of sandpaper just large enough to fold around the blade and give it a go. The little fuzzies that come from sawing I will either burn off with a torch or use a mini file set. Burning actually works pretty good as long as you don't leave the torch in one place very long.

Don't forget to post your finished product with the stain and finish.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 11:57:14 pm »
Nicely done! That's a rather challenging first project given the width of the board and the angles in the letters. After sanding the edges you'd be amazed at what a good coat of lacquer can do in regards to transforming small imperfections into a more professional appearance to the finished product.
Nicole

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 01:50:07 pm »
Warm Greetings to Everyone....Old and New....  For being your First I say your Scrolling is going to be Great Soon.  Danny   :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Marshall Border

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 08:22:03 am »
Nice job here
Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

SMF

Teknoromi