Author Topic: tape residue  (Read 1148 times)

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
tape residue
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:06:29 pm »
I'm wondering how to remove scotch tape residue from wood.
I used a heat gun but still have the tape residue to remove.
I'm not sure if I used some Acetone before?
What works    Thanks Jim

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Re: tape residue
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:53:53 pm »
Usually, mineral spirits will remove the adhesive without harming the wood. Some scrollers use spray adhesive on their patterns and then remove it with mineral spirits by letting it soak through the pattern to loosen the adhesive. Personally, I use spray adhesive to attach the pattern and if the pattern is any trouble to remove, I'll hit it with a little heat from a heat gun. In most cases the adhesive comes off with the pattern but I give my projects a little final sanding which removes anything that is left.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 02:14:21 am »
I was rather surprised how well clear shelf liner attaches to wood and then use the spray glue to attach the pattern to the clear liner instead of directly to the wood, and was amazed that it really does peel right off the piece once you're done cutting the pattern out. Steve G mentioned it in a somewhat recent video post, my apologies I am not sure which post, maybe someone else here remembers which video? The only drawback I have noticed is that the plastic liner can sometimes wrinkle and lift up a bit at times. But it is a much better method than I had been using before seeing Steve's video that I am okay with a little lifting or repositioning of the patterns. (Previously I was using wood glue to attach the pattern directly to the surface of the wood-which was of course a sanding nightmare haha) Rodney knows more than I do about this subject (and scrolling in general) though. 🙃
Nicole

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 06:18:57 am »
I am curious why you used scotch tape?

I usually cover my wood with painters tape or shelf liner and attach my pattern to that.  Lifts off with no residue.

When I do attach directly to the wood I use a heat gun to remove pattern and then mineral spirits before finishing.

Offline Chuck Hans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 12:20:47 pm »
Nicole, If you lightly sand your wood before you apply the shelf liner, and be sure to wipe the dust off after sanding, it will help a LOT with the lifting you spoke of. I use 220 grit paper to do the sanding.

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 01:07:09 pm »
Not sure if in the usa you have the blue painters low tack tape, I've  used it for quite a long time and it's great,  peels off really easy, quick sand because it can raise the grain, for the patterns I print on the white A4 labels and attach over the tape, can print larger images on more than one piece,  in the UK there about £10 for 50 sheets.I find it a lot easier than glue sticks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:10:31 pm by Pach1962 »

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 01:20:48 pm »
In Canada we have he blue painters tape by 3M.  It holds really well with no residue but it is really expensive.

Our local Home Hardware had a sale on there own brand.  It is just okay.  If you have fine detail like between letters it will lift.  I have the same issue with shelf liner too.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 09:17:41 pm »
Thank you Chuck that is good advice!
Nicole

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 02:15:06 pm »
It's not to bad a price over heat 44mms is about £4, and the a4 self adhesive labels are cheap too, case of trying what works best for you.

Offline DALE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 09:08:51 pm »
GOOF OFF WILL REMOVE IT

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 12:29:31 pm »
Googone will also remove tape residue
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax