Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
New to Forum
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:32:31 am »
Hi everyone my name is Paul I'm in the UK, I started scrolling about 25 years ago on a Hegner, due to work commitments had to put on hold, and because our middle daughter was very ill over the past 15 years with 5  different cancers, we lost her in June 2017, I've recently bought another Hegner for the ridiculous sum of £25 from a school workshop sale, all it needed was a clean and new blade clamps,. It's really helped the past couple of years to take your mind off of the grief, I'm not an expert scroller but have made quite a few items for friends and family, it's great to have a forum to chat on.

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:12:20 pm »
Welcome to the site Paul. Sorry for your loss, I know what it's like I've lost a son and a daughter way too early. Please post some of your work here so we can all enjoy your scrolling.

AL
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 04:04:22 pm »
Thank you for your message, lives hard isn't it, but have to make the most of everyday, I'll post this next few days, thank you Paul

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 04:17:31 pm »
Welcome to the Workshop. Lot of great people here to share with. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 06:47:43 pm »
Hello Paul, I am sorry for your loss. I was born with the genetic disease cystic fibrosis and have lost almost all of my CF friends to covid in the last 2 years, and I too find comfort and distraction in scrolling. Very nice to meet you!
Nicole

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 04:05:57 am »
Thank you all for your welcoming messages, I'm sorry to hear that Nicole, life is hard , our daughter was only 26 when she passed away, we have a younger daughter and a son too, I'll post some of my work soon, take care Paul

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:22 am »
Hi everyone just showing my latest project, cut from 6mm Baltic birch plywood.
Painted with chalk paint. About 600mm diameter. I cut the circles on my small bandsaw.

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 07:09:46 am »
Another small project 3mm BB plywood, painted by my wife Lindsey for our daughter.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:12:55 am by Pach1962 »

Offline Bluebird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 12:36:21 pm »
All three very nice work and cleanly executed. Also nice color design.
 Thank you for sharing.

Greetings

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 12:47:05 pm »
Thank you, the butterfly looks better in white, again in 13mm BB plywood.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:50:37 pm by Pach1962 »

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 01:54:46 am »
My first thought was to wonder how you had scrolled such a perfect circle! 🙂 I like the butterfly either way, as the cuts are so spot on that there is little need of paint to obscure them. I will echo Bluebird in saying very nice job on all 3 pieces.
Nicole

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 12:53:09 pm »
Thanks for all of your encouraging comments on the few items I've posted, I picked up a great bandsaw for quite a low price just needed the guides adjusting a a new blade, I've tried cutting circles on the scroll saw Nicole they came out ok after some sanding on the disc/ belt sander but the bandsaw makes it so quick, and only limited by the depth of my Hegner scroll saw to then work on, what sort of work have you done Nicole.

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 12:58:40 pm »
One of Steve's patterns that I made for our niece who recently had a baby.

Offline Nicole

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 09:27:12 pm »
Hello Paul-my woodworking as well as scroll saw experience is about 2 month's worth in total lol. I recently quit a work-at-home-job and found myself going stir crazy here at home, and so my partner mentioned he happened to have an older scroll saw laying around...and it intrigued me enough that I've already upgraded my scroll saw to a DeWalt dw788 and am greatly enjoying learning the art so far! My family is not what you would typically call mechanically-inclined; so I have been doing my best to learn not only how to scroll saw, but also trying to figure out other previously unknown concepts such as what a lathe is or the difference between pliers and needle-nose pliers haha. It's been fun!
Nicole

Offline Pach1962

• Hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 11:56:51 am »
Hi Nicole it sounds like you are doing a great job, my moto is to never give up and learning something New is a good thing to do, I find that any woodworking is good to focus on for the time your doing it especially when you've had trauma in your life, my wife Lindsey does arts and crafts in our summer house so we can both be busy lol.
I noticed your from Everett, my brother has lived in Kirkland for 27 years after emergrating with his family, he's just retired from Seattle BMW dealer in airport way, as the dealership  manager, weve been over quite a few times and hope to this year too, we go to his condo in palm springs for some warm weather lol.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:05:27 pm by Pach1962 »

SMF

Teknoromi