Author Topic: new member  (Read 936 times)

Offline flfy

• View Profile
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:03:10 pm »
I'm Fil (yes with an F) coming to you from Arizona  Hot and dry winters cold but I don't have to shovel it.  Very new to the Scroll saw, and learning daily.  Thank you Steve for your help in selecting a scroll saw - a Jet - it is wonderful.  Started out by making coasters and graduated to Halloween plaques, which amazed me.  The plug in of the patterns is my source and am working on 4 more.  By the way do you intend to update it with the new patterns from 2021?

Offline Rodney

• View Profile
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:29:47 am »
Hello Fil and welcome. I'm in SE North Carolina. Been scrolling for about 8 months now and loving it. I must say you started out with a much better saw than I did. I have an inexpensive WEN. I'm limited on a lot I can do but I have made some very nice projects. I'm hoping to upgrade in the very near future.

Members on this site have a vast amount of knowledge and if you have questions they are more than willing to help. So don't be afraid to ask questions or seek advice. Also, share photos of you work so we can watch your progress and admire your talent.

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 09:06:28 am »
Welcome to the Forum!

Just in case you're on the same path I was (for six months :P) you do NOT set the blade tension on a Jet with the big knob at the back.  That's to get the arms parallel and is a very crude tension setting.  Get it where it should be and then put a piece of tape or a paint blob on it to let you know when it creeps out of alignment.

You set the tension with the blade flip lever.  Spin it clockwise for tighter, CCW for looser.  Once you get it set you never have to fiddle with it.  Put a new blade in the lower blade clamp, then pop it into the lower holder, get the top end between the jaws and flip the lever back and you're all set!

Offline flfy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 09:45:51 pm »
thanks for the tips.  Thinking of adding the Pegasus chucks wounder if anyone has had experience with them?

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 08:54:31 am »
I don't think the Jet needs them.  It's blade holding is pretty sweet.

Offline flfy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 03:03:30 pm »
Thank you everyone!!

the blade holding chucks are really great except when working with a large piece.  The bottom feeding gets awkward.  I'll keep trying - looks like bear woods has the option of the bottom only wonder how this works out?

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 08:54:38 am »
On the Jet you can move the hole all the way out to the front edge, but if the blade is fine it's easy to break it while sliding everything back into place.  The bottom holder makes it easy to get the blade back in place by feel.

I don't do that, I use the magic poking ring Steve came up with -
https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2020/05/scroll-saw-blade-bottom-feed-alignment.html

I've got a couple of lengths.  For the pin part I used a pin.  Regular pin for the short one, dressmaker's pin for a longer one for thicker wood.  Drive the pin in with a tack hammer, a little glue to be safe, and then cut off the head of the regular pin, crushed the plastic bead on the dressmaker's pin.  I wear it on my second finger and just rotate it out of the way while cutting.

KCSteve :->

Offline flfy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 12:58:27 pm »
thank you for the comenss - - all helpful
Fil

SMF

Teknoromi