General Category > Brag Forum

Deer Head

(1/2) > >>

Rodney:
This is another of Steve's patterns. This one was a little tricky because the wood I used was very brittle and kept wanting to chip out on small pieces. Also, I believe there are a couple layers of fat light in the plywood because it kept wearing out blades. I had to go through 8 to 10 blades doing this project. This project had more fret work than any I've done before, however I've started a hummingbird project that has considerably more. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

KarlB:
Well done Rodney.  I can see what you are saying about the plywood you are using.  You have to watch out for voids as well.

You can check Michaels and Hobby Lobby for smaller pieces of plywood (12" x 24").  They are usually very clean and have no voids. 

Karl

Norm Fengstad:
Some wood is more prone to chipping, and some plywoods seem to shorten blade life . i have the best luck with baltic birch but sometimes the grain is blande 

KCSteve:
As Karl said, good work!

If you go to Micheal's you can get Finnish Birch - it's even better than Baltic Birch (cleaner, almost no voids ever, and the glue they use seems to be less hard on blades).

I've been doing some fretwork lately and where I kill my blades is feeding them up.  I use the little 'ring of poking' that Steve had a while back to help me find the hole but still, bottom feeding out in the middle is a game of hide and seek and blades get bent.  Just a matter of practice.

Rodney:
Thanks for the helpful hints. I started the hummingbird project and was about half way through when, again, I had a chip break out ruining the project. Part of the problem is this wood is some I had on hand and is probably 20+ years old. Additionally, the quality isn't great either. I do plan to purchase a better quality wood but as I'm sure you have experienced, wood prices are through the roof. I've even resorted to breaking down old cabinets and furniture looking for usable wood. (No, I'm not destroying my home and contents, this is material that was stored in an old shed and the owner no longer wanted. Although, I do have a dining room table that is solid oak that is probably 150 years old.) Just kidding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version