Author Topic: No Sanding  (Read 1194 times)

Offline hayu

• View Profile
No Sanding
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
There's a man here in Lubbock that never has to sand. Several people have said this to me. All I can come up with is a good plainer and he uses the burr side of the blade on the top and the bottom.  Or pays someone to do it for him.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: No Sanding
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »
Until I actually see that being the truth It has been my experience that when working in wood you HAVE to sand or your work is in my opinion not finished.  Saws cut wood and leave burrs of wood that have to be removed.  Finishes applied that need to be sanded before the next coat.  That kind of thing.  I have met folks that have done work and not sanded it and to me it looks on par with the stuff you get out of China, unfinished. Hehe but that is just me.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:09:26 am »
perhaps the no sanding person uses  wood scrapers to rid the saw marks and blemishes. I bought a set of scrapers from Lee Valley a few years ago, tried them, they do work good leaving the bare wood very smooth. almost a polish appearance.
The downside I found was- takes lots of energy and I never really got the hang of the proper method to use the tool and burnishing the scraper tool to get a good even working edge was not my skill level.

Offline hayu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:24:45 pm »
I have seen some of his work at the county fair. Its always something very hard to do.  He wears a jacket that says master scroller. The sad part he was forced to quit scrolling.

SMF

Teknoromi