Author Topic: Saw upgrade  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Dwray1234

• View Profile
Saw upgrade
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:44 pm »
I am just curious and would like some opinions,( keep it classy) on what brand of saw I should step up to next. I currently have a Porter Cable 18", but I feel like it does not have enough distance between the top arm and the table. I do lots of cutting with it, but I have never tried any type of fretwork, or used any smaller blades other than a #5, since much of my cutting has been on 3/4 stock. I cut out a lot of name plaques, since I can usually do one in an hour or less. I think I should try stepping down to a smaller blade size and start playing around with thinner stock, since that is what has always interested me about scrolling anyway. I love to see those pieces that someone has done that has the most delicate of workings, and I hope to get that good before I get too old lol.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Re: Saw upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:56:34 am »
I recently changed from a porter cable to a dewalt 788. Difference is like night and day. Porter cable was a decent saw but the dewalt is far better.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:41:03 pm »
I have an EX-21 and teach at the club on Dewalts.

I much prefer the Excalibur for the head that tilts instead of the table.  The arm stays up and the tensioning is a breeze.

I would buy the best you can afford. 

don

Offline Dwray1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:11:58 pm »
I recently changed from a porter cable to a dewalt 788. Difference is like night and day. Porter cable was a decent saw but the dewalt is far better.

I wonder if I could start a "GoFundMe" page to assist me with my upgrade. It looks like I will have to stick with my PC for a while longer..

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:57:14 am »
I bought a Dremal. brand new many years ago on the advice of the salesman that it was most up to date and best on the market at that time. A specially designed tool for operator ease. There was an era of frustration, with blade slippage, air blower problems and a start switch had a very short life span. The machine eventually gathered dust and took up valuable work space. After retirement I started to use the saw more, determined it was not going to beat me and I overcame a lot of the problems but reaching to the back of the saw to tension the blade and wishing the arm would lift became so annoying that I bought a used Dewalt 788 type 1 on internet to try out. Wow what a difference.

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 01:10:53 pm »
i am in the same position as others here - working with a less than ideal saw, wondering what to move up to.

Since I am in Canada, options are somewhat more limited.  At this time, I have a Mastercraft Maximum scroll saw, which is a machine that is not on friendly terms with pinless blades.  They can be made to work, but they have a very short life since the screws that hold the blades in also bend the ends of the blades.

Nothing like trying to fit a bent #5 blade through a 1/16" hole to make you realize that there MUST BE A BETTER WAY!    >:(

My choices are between the DeWalt DW788, or Excelsior XL-21.  The smaller Excelsior is only $50 more than the DeWalt, but I like the extra space.  The Excelsior 30" would be overkill for me.

I like the idea of a tilting head instead of tilting table.  I have used the DeWalt in classes at Lee Valley, but have never had a chance to use an Excelsior or Excaliber.

Given the scarcity of used saws, buying new may be the only way to go.  I have never seen a used DeWalt in my area, and the Excalibers are always very old.  Not that I have anything against old - that would be the pot calling the kettle black - but I tend to avoid abused and well worn.

My question - is the Excelsior XL-21 worth $350 more than the DeWalt?  That is the price difference here in the Great White North.  Finding the extra $$$ may be possible, but I need to feel that they are buying value.
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 01:45:37 pm »
Where are you in Canada.  I am in Brooklin Ontario (North Whitby).

I have and EX-21 and you are welcome to come and give a try.

If you are okay with a Dewalt keep looking on Kiijii as they do come up time to time.  They usually need a little TLC but he bought and sold a couple and now has and EX-21.  He in the Barrie area.

I have use both and it depends on how much you are going to use it.  Work the differnce out over a few years and by the day and the diff not that big.  That what I tell the boss (LOL)

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »
Where are you in Canada.  I am in Brooklin Ontario (North Whitby).
Don - I think I have seen you on Canadian Woodworking forum.

Thanks for the offer.  I am in Brampton.  A fair distance....maybe, some day.

Not sure if I am OK with a DeWalt or not.  The more we learn, the we understand what works, and why.  Wish I had waited before buying the CTC saw!
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:35 pm »
I started on a CHEAP $100.00 Tradesman saw. It used only pinned blades but, I got by with it for 2 or 3 years and learned and had fun.
Then I up graded to a Dremmel saw that was about $200.00 at the time (2008 or so) and it was a noticeable difference to the better.
Finally I ended up with a De Walt that included a stand and light (2012 or so) and I love it ! I still have it but seldom use it anymore.
At one time I considered upgrading again but then I thought, "I don't really need a Corvette when a VW will get me to the church on time." :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:24:02 am »
"keep it classy?" I reckon the first & foremost question I'd have to ask, & not to get personal, but do ya want honesty, & or smoke blown up your butt?

Then, what will your finances handle? If all you're cuttin' is fretwork, small projects, lettering, maybe occasionally 3/4" work? What do you do the most of, & what are your expectations of your saw? Usin' a bigger blade will not get ya more distance between the saw deck & the nose of the arm. Saw blades come in 5" length.

If you're lookin' for a saw that has more distance from the nose of the top arm to the saw deck, you're goin' to have to invest in a saw that the top arm lifts when you release tension. Which in turn, calls for a taller investment. I would start by lookin' on cl. You can find some decent deals on there, but be cautious. The next move would be to purchase new. Do some research. Read the reviews on the saw(s) you're interested in. Ask questions about those particular saws. Invest in the best you can afford that suit YOU & YOUR SITUATION. Not just by word of mouth. That just improves the ratings. If you've got a Woodcraft or such close, or can get involved in a scroll club, get your hands on a few different breeds of saws & test drive'em. See whatcha think. Otherwise, it'll just be by research.

Invest in a saw that has tech support & parts availability. You WILL need it. Trust me. Look at saws that have a resale value, also. All of us have got a boat anchor we'd like to unload. Consider it like buyin' a new car. If it don't suit your needs & have all the adjustments ya want on it, doesn't feel comfortable at the pilot seat, walk away from it & keep lookin'.

The saw you have now will do most anything you need it to do, it may just need cleaned, adjusted, & run until you find just the saw for you;)

I been at this 25+ years & have worn out a saw or two, had saws I didn't care for but done some of my best work on them. I just kept savin' & lookin' until I could invest in my first Hawk, & never looked back. I own a BM 26 now, amongst other saws. Keep lookin'! You'll find the right one for ya.;)
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 10:43:41 am »
Look on Craigslist & places like that.
You can find some good saws there.
I have an RB220 I picked up for $200
Love my RB Hawk

Jack
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
Hawks are not the most popular because you can but a good new saw for so much less than a Hawk or Hegner. However they are a top of the line saws which need very little maintenance if ever. A search on craigs list will show used machines quite often. I also purchased a220VS Ultra Hawk in pristine condition for $200. I was told the controller needed replacement at the time of purchase. I have a total of $400 invested. It will be the last saw I will ever buy. That's considering I'm just under 80.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 08:47:08 pm »
I wish we could find these deals in Canada

SMF

Teknoromi