Author Topic: Tragic Accident  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Tragic Accident
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:36:56 am »
Our neck of the woods is deep into hockey play-offs from small kids teams to more advanced. the junior (20 and under) team from our community (Nipawin Hawks) was to begin the league champion series  against a neighbor town (Humboldt Broncos). The Broncos bus was in collision with a semi trailer. the 28 players and coaches on the bus suffered 14 fatalities and 14 critical injured. It is a sad time here. it appears the westbound semi truck did not stop at a stop sign and the northbound bus could not avoid the collision.

The Humboldt Broncos team over the years developed many National league players, some are in the hall of fame. The Humboldt community also have sent several athletes to the Olympics in other sports.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic Accident
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:51:15 pm »
I am so sorry to hear of the accident Norm.  I read the headlines just a bit ago and then read your post.  Anytime we lose our youth it is indeed tragic.

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:06:29 pm »
Saw that in the news.  Sorry to see that.  Prayers and condolences to the families involved.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:09:57 am »
My prayers go out to their families

Offline SS Novice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:51:54 am »
Really sad tragic news

Offline hockeyiowa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:57 am »
My thoughts and prayers go out to the players, their families and all those who’s lives have been impacted. I spent years as an equipment manager in the NHL, AHL and the German Professional League (DEL). After a long road trip in the AHL we’d load the bus, get into our bunks and get some sleep, just praying that we’d make it to the next location. Our lives were in the hands of others, completely out of our control. May these young men Rest In Peace.
Thank you. I hope everyone has a great day and please be safe.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 08:53:33 am »
The incident really effects everyone in our community, there was 29 on the bus, 15 have now passed away, 12 are still in hospital and 3 or 4 are still on the critical list. Out pouring of support has been unreal, a go fund me page now touches on 6 Million dollars maybe more.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:11:35 am »
There has been many memorials, funerals and outpourings of messages from all over including our Prime-minister, Premier and President Trump. Of the 29 that were on the bus 16 have now perished, I think 7 have been released from hospital to recover at home, 2 remain on the critical and  4 are still serious condition. The "Go Fund Me " page was closed off at over 12 million dollars. The cause of the incident is still under investigation perhaps trying to discover why the Semi Trailer did not stop at the stop sign.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 03:31:40 am »
This is tragic news, & my condolences to the families & community. You're in our thoughts & prayers.

As a retired professional driver of 30 years of OTR drivin', accident free, this news makes me angry. We as Truck drivers are supposed to respect the road, others on it, & most of all, the laws of the road. Today's drivers don't have that respect, and I'm sorry. It also saddens me at the way these drivers treat the public, but yet want the title of a professional. It's humiliatin' to those of us that started out young, learned to drive before we had all these fancy trucks & laws. But we still had laws of the road to respect, & we did! As the years went by, we were under more laws, more enforcements, etc. We learned the laws, abided by them, earned the respect of the public. In the last 15 years, more & more folks are drivin trucks that can't even drive a car.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, & our thoughts & prayers go out to you folks.
Sawdust703(Brad)

SMF

Teknoromi