Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1266 times)

Offline artman60

• View Profile
Hi
« on: March 07, 2018, 06:05:29 pm »
Hi, new to woodworking, new to scrolling (as in, haven’t even done any yet). I recently bought a Shopsmith to learn some woodworking ( We live in a townhouse, very small basement, so a Shopsmith was a necessity). One of my wife’s friends came by, and her son is kinda shy and withdrawn. When I asked him if he’d have an interest in making something in the basement, he kinda lit up, looked at his mom, and said “Please, please, please” I figured a scroll saw project would be  something I could learn enough to stay a couple of steps ahead of him, and still have a project that he could make and take, in the same day. I looked on Craigslist for scroll saws, saw a 2004 Hegner  Unimax listed as in new condition for $250. I tried to find out more info about it online, but couldn’t find much. It was sold the next day, so I’m guessing it was a good deal. The other one that looked interesting was an RBI Industries one. Pictures, no model number and pretty sure not complete. Listed as in excellent condition. $75. From what I’ve read, parts are still available for most of their models, and they are excellent saws. I’ve sent three e-mails, but got no reply’s. So this morning I ordered a Porter-Cable one from Lowes. It appears to be a starter one, and well, I’m starting. I posted about this on The Patriot Woodworking Forum, and they strongly suggested that I come here. So hi everyone, I will try to keep the rookie questions to a minimum.
The clock of life is wound but once

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:43:48 pm »
Hi, this Bill from Tennessee. Welcome and ask your questions - everyone has had to start from scratch so we don't mind the questions.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Hi
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:54 pm »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. There are a lot of good people on this forum who can give you a lot of good advice and direction. There is no such thing as a dumb question so don't hesitate to ask. Also, you may want to watch Steve's videos on you tube. He has some great video beginner lessons on saw operations, blade choices, wood choices, pattern preparation, cutting 90 deg. and circles and straight lines, etc. etc. This is how I learned; being scrolling now for about 7 years and it all started here on Steve's site. Just remember to have fun!

SMF

Teknoromi