Author Topic: help with tape???  (Read 1953 times)

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
help with tape???
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:59:55 am »
i have used steve's tape method sense i started scrolling and love it.  i use 1/8th luan stacked 4 to 6 high for my family portraits and microwave the tape off the last 2.
now to my dilemma...

i will be using the same luan and stacking 4 high on a 10"x 26" portrait... ( i have a 16" saw)
2 probs...
1. it would take more than a roll to tape...
2. won't fit in micro to remove tape, my hair dryer won't work, and i don't have a heat gun.

are there any "cheap" alternates to tape that will not damage the face of the luan?

thanks,
chris

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: help with tape???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:03:45 am »
How about putting them in the oven to warm the tape to remove it?  Not a hot oven, but maybe start at about 200 degrees and see how that goes?

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:44 am »
Never did the warming to remove product used to assist with the pattern, but Steve lead me
to the SHELF CONTACT PAPER.......Wow!  Such a Wonderful life now.  Very easy to apply to
the wood and removable is Easy.  Does not leave residue that the Painters tape will.
So this is just my Opinion..Thanks Steve..........Danny  :+}

P.S.  Bet I went thru a Dozen rolls of the painters tape before this.  Awful stuff to me now.  Never again.
Danny  :+}

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:46:59 am »
Steve lead me to the SHELF CONTACT PAPER.......Wow!

I agree, this is the best!

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:32 am »
I have never tried warming to remove the tape.  I do us a straight end (called a chisel blade #18) X-acto blade to lift it then I pull it off.  Never had a problem.
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 11:18:09 pm »
I use those full sheet shipping labels, get 100 of them on amazon for 20 bucks, print and stick. They are really hard to peel off unless I use a hair dryer softens the glue and it peels right off, leave very little residue nothing a light hand sanding won't take care of.

I used the painters at first, it does great but at times can lift off or stick to well and on luan peel off the veener, I have ruin good projects due to this, shipping labels I have not ruined one yet since the hair dryer softens it to let it peel right off.

SMF

Teknoromi