Author Topic: new to scrolling  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
new to scrolling
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:15 pm »
Your friendly neighbor hood squid here. I have been in the navy for 18 years and I have always built wooden ships. I started looking at a saw to cut out parts for my boats and saw some patterns, and as a buddy of mine says it was down the rabbit hole from there. I havent bought a saw yet I am still looking around, but I am loking at the 30' Excalibur. I learned a long time ago its cheaper to buy once than buy twice, but I am not sure I need the extra depth on the throat. I am in Va Beach and I am looking forward to getting started.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: new to scrolling
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum

I too like to buy the best I can afford when it comes to Woodworking machinery.  I bought an EX-21 and have not regretted it at all.  Our club has DW788's and I much prefer the Excalibur. 

I have only a couple of times in 5 years have I ever needed more than 21 inches clearance but I tend to do a lot of smaller items. They only time I have thought about it was when doing larger signs.

Good luck a keep us posted.

Don

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:15 pm »
Thats what I am wondering do I really need the extra reach.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:37:48 am »
While I do not have an Excalibur I do have a DW788.  It has been a good machine for general scroll working.  Which ever way you decide to go, word of caution, Scrolling is Addictive and very fun.  Welcome to the scrollers world.  Looking forward to seeing what you make. We like pictures :)

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 05:46:46 am »
I've had an EX21 for many years.  I have needed the extra reach a time or two but I know how to use spiral blades so I have managed to get through my projects without much fuss.  If you plan to do large portraits or really big pieces go with the 30.  Otherwise, the EX 21 will get you through just about anything.

By the way - welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Thank you for your service.

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:38:48 am »
I will have to measure my bench when I get home and see if I even have room for the 30 inch. when you get down to it the cost difference is not that much considering what you are paying for the saw already.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 08:06:02 am »
Welcome aboard.  My navy time only lasted 4 yrs and that was many moons ago.  Just beware that scrolling is very addictive but also very rewarding. 

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 10:09:43 am »
Smart man they have chewed me up and spit me out and with the va I might as well not have health care at all.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:14 am »
Welcome Jason.  Thanks for your service!

I have an EX-21.  The 30 would be nice, in some circumstances, but first of all, it wouldn't fit in the designated "scroll saw corner" of my shop.  Also, consider the ergonomics involved with spinning a large piece in the saw, especially when making cuts in the corners.  If the piece is so big that a 30" capacity is required, you're probably trying to reach a lot of places that are going to be really tough to get to.  Even if it does fit in the saw, it can be hard to see what you are cutting in the far corners.  It can get pretty awkward sometimes, which is why a lot of folks use spiral blades for larger pieces.  I certainly don't want to discourage you from getting the 30.  If you have the budget and the space, go for it.  It's a fine saw. 
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 09:51:10 am »
well my bench is only 26 inches deep so I might have to go with the 21 inch excaliber rather than the 30. or I can put it on the stand that will come with it and put it on rollers so I can slide it out of the way in the shop.

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »
I may still use the stand but I am going to get some upgrades for my drill press and a new router table for the shop with the extra money.

SMF

Teknoromi