Author Topic: New to Scrolling - Health Issues  (Read 3509 times)

Offline terrymargeson66

• View Profile
New to Scrolling - Health Issues
« on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »
Hi All
I am new to Scroliing and live in the UK. Only been scrolling two months and have experienced a problem with swollen eyes. Medics on examination state that it is the dust from Scrolling especially recently when using Ash Hardwood. I do not wear a mask when working and have not seen any You Tube clips of people wearing them. I have been advised to wear a respirator type dust mask and safety googles ( although I already wear glasses) I must state that I have carried out alot of sanding to finish the pieces made without any personal protection.
I would really appreciate your comments guys as the 'good lady indoors' thinks she may have made a mistake buying it me as a retirement present having recently finished my working life.

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
Re: New to Scrolling - Health Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:50:53 pm »
get a full face resperator and you will be fine.

Offline terrymargeson66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:43 am »
Hi Jason
Thank you for your response. I have a respirator type dust mask on order. Just out of curiosity do you use a dust extraction unit/ vac to take away the dust whilst working? I thinlk a majority of my recent problem is down to sanding Ash Hardwood as this has only occured on the two occassions that I have used this wood.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 06:50:05 am »
There are some woods that are toxic.  I often wear a dust mask depending on the type of wood and what I'm doing.  I almost always wear one when sanding.  People react differently to different types of wood.  Alergic reactions, I guess. 

Offline terrymargeson66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:12:48 am »
Thanks for your response Julie. I am now finding out about hardwoods being toxic to my cost. I will be looking out in future especially when sanding. I must admit I have never owned or worn a mask, as doing it outdoors I assumed it would go into the atmosphere. How wrong could I have been!

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
Reaction to dust and the health problems it can cause, while not a new subject, is something that a lot of woodworkers are not fully aware of.  Dust collection has become as big of a topic on various woodworking forums as that table saw to buy or the preferred method for cutting dovetails.  Lots of debate, lots of discussion, but it all helping to get the word out in the woodworking community.

Scrolling doesn't generate as much of the very fine dust that can cause respiratory problems, as sanding does, but it still is an issue not to be overlooked.  Sanding is one of the primary culprits.  As was mentioned, different people react to different species and sometimes this sensitivity comes about later in life.  I've read of folks who have worked with a particular species for many years, with no problems, only to suddenly realize they've developed a sensitivity to it.  The sensitivity can manifest itself in different ways; skin rashes, eye irritation, difficulty breathing, etc.  Makes it tough to pinpoint the source, given all the other allergens people can be exposed to.

Important thing is that you now have some evidence of ash causing you problems.  By taking precautions, with proper safety gear and some sort of dust mitigation, you should be able to tell if it is sufficient to prevent further problems.  Bottom line is that these precautions are good to take, even if we don't believe we will have a reaction.  Better safe than sorry.

Hope you are able to get past your health issues and continue to enjoy the hobby.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
Just my 2 cents on the subject, but when sanding I always wear a high quality face mask.  I don't at the scroll saw, because I've rigged a great dust collection system to my saw and have NO dust on the table or under the saw.  I use clear tubing, about the size of my finger, and it connects to larger PVC pipe.  There's a T connector so tubing points to both the top and bottom of the saw, and takes the dust away right at the source.  This is connected to an Oneida Dust Devil separator, and then to a Fein shop vac.  The Dust Devil keeps almost everything out of the actual shop vac.

This can take a bit of trial and error to design, but well worth the effort.  I've used duct tape and security ties to attach it to the saw, and find the security ties work best, as you can take them off and replace them easily with no mess.  I've even attached the top part to the post that is supposed to hold the hold down tool on Dewalt saws, since the actual hold down tool has long since been removed and thrown out!

When I do demonstrations at shows, without the system, I'm always amazed at how dirty the table gets, even with the dust blower.  When in the shop, the dust blower is turned either away from me, or sometimes on my face to help cool off, if it's not quite hot enough to bother turning on the AC.

Dust collection is something everyone must decide for themselves, but there is ample research showing how dangerous it can be.
Nancy

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:45 pm »
Here is a link to the sawdust toxicity charts it is very eye opening -

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

I have had 2 friends go in the hospital and almost die because of yellow heart sawdust, which they found out they were sensitive to.  Please always use a good dust mask when cutting and sanding.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Jason.Boushard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 05:49:57 pm »
You had a reaction who knows what else will set it off why take a risk? I wer a 3m niosh approved resperator when painting or working with dust or fumes. I had a nasty reaction to bloodwood once, I thought ok I wont turn that anymore. Then I tried turning one of those laminated blanks thats multi colored and boy did that teach me, I might as well have been turning poison ivy mixed with ghost peppers. wear a mask I even wear tight fitting long sleeves to keep it off my arms.

Offline terrymargeson66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 03:50:07 am »
Thanks for all your advice and wishes Guys. I am really greatfull for all the comments and knowledge on the subject. Here in the UK there is very little advice or Scrollers as there are in the good old USA. I am in the process of buying and rigging up an effective dust collection system to help eliminate further problems, especially when sanding as I now think that was the cause. Once again Thank you

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
Welcome Terry! I always wear a dust mask when scrolling and sanding. I use a good 3M for dust and discard every week. I usually spend about  25 hours a week in my shop. I also use a full face mask if doing a lot of sanding and cutting on my mitre saw. I also have shop vacs connected to all my cutting and sanding tools and also have an air purifier above my scroll saw. It is a Rikon 3 speed with remote and works great! I probably go overboard, but, the costs are minimal compared to a hospital bill.LOL I have tried goggles, but, with my glasses the goggles hurt my vision it seems. Yes, just a good face mask would probably be sufficient.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:03 pm »
Thanks for all your advice and wishes Guys. I am really greatfull for all the comments and knowledge on the subject. Here in the UK there is very little advice or Scrollers as there are in the good old USA. I am in the process of buying and rigging up an effective dust collection system to help eliminate further problems, especially when sanding as I now think that was the cause. Once again Thank you

One of the more simple but effective ways to manage your saw dust is the tape a furnace filter to the input of a box fan and run that.  The fan will bring the air in through the filter and the air out will be much cleaner than the air was before.  That, a dust filter and some form of collection will help you out alot.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

SMF

Teknoromi