Author Topic: light for scrollsaw  (Read 6002 times)

Offline patriot46

• View Profile
light for scrollsaw
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:40:17 am »
HI all ok here it i just got my scroll saw and tryed to cut a pattern but i have trouble seeing the lines what can i do .
I am 70 Years old and my eyes are not that good any more .
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:02:07 am by patriot46 »

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: light for scrollsaw
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »
I bought a magnifying lamp similar to this link

http://seyco.com/sdm-10-3-diopter-60-led-magnifier-work-light/

I bought mine at Busybee in Canada at a lot less but that was 4 years ago.

I like the light but I have astigmatism and so I have trouble with the magnifier as I have to get it into correct position and look with one eye to be useful.  I have since have tried a bunch and it is the same issue.

Judy Gale Roberts sell one similar and I tried it and it is quite nice.

don

PS:   If would be nice if you gave your location so that people can give local vendors.  There is a spot in your profile to add.

Offline patriot46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »
thank you but i cannot afford that much money right now.
thank you for the heads up though.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:56:09 pm »
There are several things you can do on the cheap to get more light.  Do you have a desk lamp either LED or Fluorescent.  There is one of Ebay for about $21 free shipping that might do the trick.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/8W-Dimmable-Touch-Sensor-60-LED-Light-Desk-Table-Reading-Book-Lamp-Power-/181830493605?hash=item2a55f125a5:g:8kEAAOSwjVVVyhQv  Any extra light will help.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:36:53 pm »
I read in another thread that they were using lights made for use on cooking grills.  Battery powered I assume, magnetized  and inexpensive.

A tip:  if you are drawing or printing out patterns, using red lines makes them easier to see and follow than black lines are.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »
http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=magnifying%20lamp&typeahead=magnifying

I have the 3rd one shown and REALLY like it.

jerry

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:37:49 pm »
I pickedup a sewing machine light from amazon.com, I love it. U may wanna try the blue battery powered flashlight from harbor freight, it has hook and magnet..
GO PACK GO

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:48:32 am »
I tried one of those lighted magnifiers once.  I think it would take me a lot of getting used to.

I'm 56 and notice that scrolling detailed patterns is more of a visual challenge these days.  I don't wear glasses or contacts full time (yet), but I wear a pair of reading glasses when scrolling and I have a couple clamp on lights attached to the ceiling joists of my basement shop.  I found that aiming the lights from multiple angles helps minimize the blade shadow and works better than the single light I've used for years.  One of the lights is an old articulating arm, desk lamp that I salvaged and the other is just a cheap clamp on work light, with the big aluminum reflector.  Nothing fancy.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
I have a magnifier but never liked it as was difficult to get it located correctly.  I keep a pair of cheap reading glasses 4.0 to wear when I am cutting delicate areas.  They work fine until you look up across the shop and definitely don't try walking with them.  I also have some of the folding lamps that I can swing into position.

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »
I found a non-magnifier LED light for $10 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It has a flex shaft and a large gator clip, so I can put the light directly on my work area.
Jim

Offline Hawaiilad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:53 pm »
If you haven't done this already, put something under the back of your saw to raise it.  It will tilt the table toward you so you will be looking down at the line.  This helps allot, but of course using a light when needed will help as well

Hawaii Lad
Larry

SMF

Teknoromi