Author Topic: craftsman scroll saw 21602 v speed  (Read 2279 times)

Offline patriot46

• View Profile
craftsman scroll saw 21602 v speed
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:08:39 pm »
HI just waht some advice on the caftsman scroll saw my wife wants to buy it and i know nothing about scroll saws any help would be great.

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
Re: craftsman scroll saw 21602 v speed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:28 pm »
This was my first saw, and I learned a bunch while using it. Never had a problem in 3 years. Dust collection was good, unit was very stable when bolted to a stand or bench.Stick to the pinless blades, blade changing is a bit tedious, but you get used to it. Good value for the price.
Jim

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:49 am »
I agree that it is a durable saw. I did have to return my first one because the vibration was terrible but, they replaced it with no questions asked. (returned the same week I bought it).
I do NOT like Sears stores at all but, the scroll saw is a good investment.
If you need to replace blade clamps, you will have to order them and pay more for
shipping than for the parts. They aren't carried in the stores.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:02:14 pm »
I have no experience with that particular model, but I started out on a Craftsman about 20 years ago.  It was a serviceable machine, but I quickly outgrew it and wanted something better.  I wore it out after several years and replaced it with a Dewalt.  I now have an Excalibur.  None of that is really relevant to your question though.  The thing about mid-priced scroll saws is that many of them have very similar characteristics.  There may not be much difference between models across several brands. 

With regard to the specs of the saw, generally speaking variable speed is good to have, but if you do much fretwork, you may grow to hate having to use a tool to make blade changes.  Vibration is probably tolerable.  If it's too bad, be sure to get it replaced while under warranty.  The 16" throat depth can be somewhat limiting, depending on what you are cutting, but it should suffice for most beginner projects.

It's a bit of a catch 22 with these saws as beginners don't want to spend a ton of money on a tool until they know they want to pursue the hobby long term.  But low to mid priced saws aren't designed & built to the quality of the more expensive saws and the lower quality may lead to a less enjoyable experience, frustration, etc and eventually abandoning the hobby.  We don't want that, so if you do find yourself frustrated, post your problems here for advice on how to distinguish between problems with the equipment vs technique.  Good luck!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:10:58 pm »
Very good answer Bill.
We all started out slow, it is just a natural tendency not to want to go over board with something.
This hobby could be a dream for you  but then again it might be a nightmare. Scrolling is just like any other hobby that is why I don't play golf. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline patriot46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:32 am »
thank you all good advice

SMF

Teknoromi