Author Topic: Any Scroll Sawers Here with PD  (Read 10515 times)

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Scroll Sawers Here with PD
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:04:05 pm »
Hi Erewhon....I express the same sentiments as Judy. Your sense of humour shines through loud and clear. This is a big step in your healing process.

As far as the Polar Bear goes, I guess you can learn how to cook and see what it tastes like. We have made food from roadkill here in Australia, but not from polar bears, more like kangaroo.  ;D

Keep on track with the way you are handling your situation and good luck.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 08:19:36 pm »
G'day Judy,
Well I tryin' to look on the bright side of things presently, I had to find some way to cope after my work accident back in 1988. Looking a the bright side and having a more un-serious way of handling me problems, sure I have me down days but being a bit stupid does at times put me into a better frame of mind. No I have never looked at making money from my woodworking hobby. For a number of years I watched and listened to how people were supporting our Aussie farmers during bush fires, floods and drought. Many of them have children and while the adult farmers battle these conditions the children are often forgotten about. I decided that I would start building wooden toys that I could give away to the kids in the hope that I just might be able to brighten up their little lives in some way. Sadly after getting all I needed together in the way of equipment my health issues started to bring problems. In short Judy I don't wanna make any money at all from what I desire to do, its just that there are others who suffer more than me and if I can help make their life that little much better then no doubt in time my problems I battle with will be less noticeable to me and that in turn should make me feel that little better. I hope you understand what I've tried to say. Again thanks for your comment and you take care.

Hooroo.

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »
G'day Dave,
Thanks your comments Dave, I realised many years back that I could keep going down the track of "Woo Is Me' or I could accept my problems and find away to handle them all. Sure I still have those down days and I get cranky but they are now few and far between. Sorry mate gotta go the wife is ready to go shopping catch ya later.

Hooroo.

Offline mamell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 09:57:17 pm »
I've got the shakes in my hands pretty bad at times which makes part of what I enjoy doing difficult.  I cut a lot of mortises with a chisel and lining up the lengths of the mortise is a challenge so what I do to make it a bit easier is to chisel out a starting groove about 1/8th deep so once I get going I can just follow the groove.
Nothing is more fun than hammering into my hand with a heavy iron mallet head with the rubber ends.. The correct terminology escapes me right now, but having the shakes makes things a challenge for sure.
I've been to the doc about this time and time again with no substantial diagnosis.
Personally I think it's from a lifetime of working with chemicals and heavy drinking during the early part of my adult life..I can't undo all that, but what I can do is to press on and not just give up.
I often have to stand there, take several deep breaths and wait for my shakes to subside and press ahead.  Just today I managed to drive a chisel into my hand so my days of chopping mortises are definitely going to be limited for a while..
I do have some other projects that don't require pounding and the scroll saw is sitting over in the corner waving at me saying, 'Don't forget about me!'
My grandmother handed down a beautiful jewelry box I gave to my daughter, but it got stolen recently so I might just go ahead and make her a new one made with dad's love.. I already made her a nice towel rack and the scroll saw came in very handy..
It's not a lot of fancy schmancy fretwork,but it came out pretty nice if I do say so myself..

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »
I've got the shakes in my hands pretty bad at times which makes part of what I enjoy doing difficult.  I cut a lot of mortises with a chisel and lining up the lengths of the mortise is a challenge so what I do to make it a bit easier is to chisel out a starting groove about 1/8th deep so once I get going I can just follow the groove.
Nothing is more fun than hammering into my hand with a heavy iron mallet head with the rubber ends.. The correct terminology escapes me right now, but having the shakes makes things a challenge for sure.
I've been to the doc about this time and time again with no substantial diagnosis.
Personally I think it's from a lifetime of working with chemicals and heavy drinking during the early part of my adult life..I can't undo all that, but what I can do is to press on and not just give up.
I often have to stand there, take several deep breaths and wait for my shakes to subside and press ahead.  Just today I managed to drive a chisel into my hand so my days of chopping mortises are definitely going to be limited for a while..
I do have some other projects that don't require pounding and the scroll saw is sitting over in the corner waving at me saying, 'Don't forget about me!'
My grandmother handed down a beautiful jewelry box I gave to my daughter, but it got stolen recently so I might just go ahead and make her a new one made with dad's love.. I already made her a nice towel rack and the scroll saw came in very handy..
It's not a lot of fancy schmancy fretwork,but it came out pretty nice if I do say so myself..

Hi mamell...you are not the only one that thinks it came out pretty nice. It looks a million dollars.

Never give in and always take care as you do your work. Well done mate!!!

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:50 am »
G'day Mamell - that's a fantastic cloths rack and I take your point about finding ways to cope with our different problems.

Offline mamell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:43:10 am »
Thanks folks, but I think I pretty much screwed the pooch with my hand for the time being anyway.. I'm not sure about scrolling yet. Just lifting a cup of coffee hurts now, but this won't last forever. Unfortunately the scroll saw is sitting up under a shelf out of the way while I was working on the bench so there's a good chance it might have to stay there till I heal up a bit.. I'll still try though..

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:41:09 am »
G'day All,
Well me trip to Brisbane has been and gone and no matter how hard I tried to impress this second Neurologist that I didn't have Parkinson's Disease he agreed with the first diagnosis and I guess I gotta now accept it. He was unable to tell me what the future holds but I'm about to start on a course of medication that may or may not help control my unwanted body movements. I have been warned that there could be some unpleasant side effects as different people respond differently to these drugs hence I've decided that it might be in my best interests and that of the forum if I parked myself up until I know where I'll end up.

Without going into much detail - several years ago I was a member of a well known forum that is all about wooden toy making, I was at the time fighting a bout of depression because I was finding it hard to cope with Graves Disease that I had been diagnosed with. One minute I was going to have my thyroid gland killed off and then without warning my blood tests would swing the other way and then the killing of my thyroid gland would be put on hold. Currently as it stands the darn thing is on the move again and they are sitting back again waiting to see how bad things are going to get. Truly I was at a stage where I didn't know if I was coming or going and being depressed about the whole affair didn't help me at all. I would express my concern about some small hay bales one of the forum members had made to go with a child's toy as I saw them as being a danger to a young child. While my concern was expressed in a polite way it didn't go down too good and the response towards my concern wasn't warmly received. One thing lead to another and before long I found myself being banned from the forum.

Now as I face this new adventure with Parkinson's Disease I don't ever want to find myself in such a position again as above, so I've elected to park myself up until I'm happy that I'm able to cope with that which I'm yet to experience in the coming months with these new drugs. So to you all I'll say cheers for the time being, take care and when I'm happy that I'm able to cope with that which now ails me ............. well you know what I'm trying to say.

Hooroo for now.
Erewhon. 

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:22 am »
Hi Erewhon..... I guess deep down you knew what the doctor was going to say, but holding on to a positive thought doesn't hurt at all. I understand that you need time to work out what is happening in your life right now, but I urge you not to be a total stranger. You can still be a member of the forum and check out the posts from time to time. This will also allow you to gain some experience and tips, then when you are ready to make your come back, we will be waiting to greet you.

Take care and think positive.

Dave.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »
 ;D We are all here for you.  You do what you gotta do.  But don't over think it. We all live "One Day At a Time."
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:26 pm »
G'day All,
Well I'm still above ground and to day is one of those days that the Parkinsons Disease (PD Terrorist Organisation) has me house bound away from my woodworking workshop so I thought I?d let you know what I been up to.

It?s been a hard last two months battling this Terrorist Organisation and I?ve found a few ways to help me do what I want to do with my power tools in the workshop.
Being diagnosed as a grade two PD sufferer has been very hard to accept but I?m slowly accepting and dealing with what it tosses up and if this keyboard would just stop making all those spelling mistakes it shouldn?t take too long to tell you what I been up to.

Firstly I've spent a lot of time in my woodworking shed of late sitting and looking at all of my power tools that just might pose dangers to me, I still have five digits on both hands and would like to retain as many of them as I can because I like to use them at times for calculating purposes and picking up things.

Table Saw: Well there is only so much protection one can have here and a sled I made for it some months ago does give me confidence and the use of clamps when cutting smaller pieces helps a lot. Ripping timber is a worry but I'm working on and idea that I have floating around in me head in relation to some jigs.

Drill Press: While not a big problem my drilling of holes has been for sometime been a hit and miss affair, so I've built a couple of jigs that have solved my accuracy problems and I very happy with the results I can now achieve as I shake, rattle and roll. Hasn?t been easy constructing these jigs but all in all I think I done pretty darn good.

Scroll Saw: I have had a good ole play with it of late and is best played with when I don't tremble so much. My biggest problem is keeping close to the lines of what I'm cutting out, while my eyes have been tested and I do wear glasses at times PD causes my eyes to strain and hard to focus so my time at the scroll saw is limited. I?ve read that by printing out your designs in Red rather than Black is a good help as Red is much easier to see, so I?ll put that to the test next time.

To give you an idea as to my problem with the scroll saw is best described this way. My PD has given me tremors on the right hand side of my body, thus my right hand (being my dominate) is in constant tremor mode. My left hand is my most steady but it does at times get a very slight tremor or causes my fingers to want to rub against one another, so at present my left hand is getting a real work out.

Sometimes my tremors are very slight and other times I suddenly get into ?Dystonia? mode. While I?m slightly effect at present with a mild case of ?Dystonia? the best way to describe it is. A movement which causes muscles to contract uncontrollably thus causing me some sudden violent movements, while it can eventually effect the whole body currently I have a mild version and only time will tell what my future Dystonia will be like.

I quite proud of what I have managed to cut out with the scroll saw at present and in time I hope to get better at it, while I have respect for the little cutting blade I haven?t as yet broken one with a sudden hand movement so I?m very pleased.
I?m not a fan of breathing in the fine dust so I tried to use those little white face masks that go over your nose and mouth and have a elastic band that gets tangled in your hair. Well wearing glasses no matter how I tried these little dust masks I just couldn?t stop foggin? up me glasses. Now I?ve resorted to wearing a green rubber type mask that has two filters either side of it, not a pretty look and while its gunna take some getting use to at least me glasses are fog free.

So that?s about it for the present, I?d love to be out in me shed but tomorrow is another day and the terrorist organization just might let me back there tomorrow.
While I?m no poet  I have had at times thought much about that which occupies my life now and after returning from our once a fortnight shop down in our nearby city some weeks ago I put down some words that I?d like to yell at those who watch as I stumble along like the local town drunk. So I wrote this;

For years health wise I?ve had many a fight,
I?ve always bounced back feeling alright.
Diagnosed now with Parkinson?s Disease,
someone explain it to me please?
I aint had time to learn about this disease,
So currently I swallow Madopar to help fight this PD.
Now just a minute, let me catch me breath,
the Neurologist said it wasn?t terminal,
Hell I ain?t dead yet.
I drag me feet, walk with a stoop,
me bottom lip quivers and I shake quite a bit.

With a head sometimes fuzzy inside,
I drift off to places where only I can hide.
With hand and arm shakes I must look a sight,
yes I to get embarrassed at my plight.
I apologise if sudden movements cause you fright,
inwardly I?m in one of my life?s biggest fights.
Yes I?m yet to accept the diagnosis given,
So stare if you must your totally forgiven.
I?m trying to deal with this the best I can,
Remember what you see outwardly
Is Not Me - The Real Man.

How I'll go and see how to upload a few images.

Hooroo
Erewhon.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 05:20:31 am »
It's great to hear from you again Erewhon. I see from you update you have made progress in the department of jigs that will make life easier for you. I am a great fan of jigs, particularly when you have multiple items to make. I also like your poem...well done!

To show you are not alone, I have had a break in my Vertigo attacks and have taken this opportunity to fix up the ridge tiles on my roof. That will be one more of those jobs out of the way.

Keep up with the great work mate.

Dave.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:05 am »
I'm really impressed with your attitude. You appear to not give in to a disease and let it manage you but you are managing it. Well done, don't let it control you.
Bill

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 06:22:34 pm »
G'day Dave,
Yes the more I think about these different tools and view jigs on the you tube etc I can see ways that some will help me a lot. I've this crazy idea in me head at present that I think will help me with my scroll sawing.  ::) I have ideas in regards to cutting out centers for wooden wheels I wanna make for me toys, being small they pose a problem for trembling hands to hold onto so I thinking of making a jig that will hold these small things steady and the size of the jig will give me a little more control over it 'I Hope'. I amaze my self at times with the crazy ideas I come up, nine times outa ten ninety nine percent of them never work  :-[ but its fun havin' a go.
 Hooroo :) 

Offline Erewhon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 07:25:44 pm »
G'day Bill,
I thank you for your encouragement, I try hard to have a positive attitude that this darn disease aint gunna beat me but believe me there are days, many days more than I like when I just wanna give up and hide away from the every day problems that I face with it. I'm gunna do me best Bill and I'll keep fighting all that it tosses up.

Hooroo. :) 

SMF

Teknoromi