Author Topic: Returning to scroll sawing  (Read 1169 times)

Offline breadstick

• View Profile
Returning to scroll sawing
« on: February 05, 2016, 07:37:45 am »
Good morning, everyone.  A couple guys I work with have wood shops and I was helping one in his basement and got a look at his shop.  I couldn't stop thinking about how much I missed wood shop in high school.  I always loved scroll sawing for the same reason most people hate it: the tedious intricacies and concentration involved in fretwork.  I was always good at it in high school, but got busy with life and forgot about it.  Cut to my wonderful wife that won't stop buying me power tools because I never ask her to get me anything and she knows how much I want them.  She bought me a craftsman saw that I used for a day and returned the next day.  It was alright but I quickly realized the limitations of the rough table and having to use tools to change blades.

After some research I found two woodworking shops about an hour away (St Louis, MO) and took a trip.  Walked away with a Dewalt DW788 (with free table) and it immediately made my sawing better.  I still have a lot of practice before I'm back where I was, but I enjoy it every bit as much as I did and, hopefully, this summer I'll start setting up my own booth at the vendor fairs I go to with my wife (she's a soaper).

Nice to meet all of you and I look forward to spending lots of hours reading through all these posts.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: Returning to scroll sawing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:15 am »
Welcome aboard from someone a little more than an hour from St. Louis.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:19:40 pm »
G'Day, and welcome to the forum.

I think I would like to borrow your wife for a short time, I need some more power tools to replace my old and weary collection.

Dave.
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:50 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

SMF

Teknoromi