Author Topic: question on dewalt 788  (Read 1073 times)

cowboysfanatic

question on dewalt 788
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:25:06 am »
Just got my new 788 so far pretty happy with it, but was wondering why when I was sawing this morning I noticed when I was pulling the wood to me it wasn't cutting as easy as it was in the other directions. I am using spiral blades. I even changed blades thinking I might just had a dull blade. That didn't seem to matter. I'm cutting 1/4 &1/8 Baltic birch stacked. I never noticed the problem on my craftsman saw. I didn't know if this is just the nature of a 788 or what I know that these two saws are totally different so maybe I just need to get use to it.

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: question on dewalt 788
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:01:47 am »
I would guess that because of the rake of the blade (front to back movement) that it is more aggressive when pushing than pulling through the spiral.
Bill

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:09:22 am »
Just got my new 788 so far pretty happy with it, but was wondering why when I was sawing this morning I noticed when I was pulling the wood to me it wasn't cutting as easy as it was in the other directions. I am using spiral blades. I even changed blades thinking I might just had a dull blade. That didn't seem to matter. I'm cutting 1/4 &1/8 Baltic birch stacked. I never noticed the problem on my craftsman saw. I didn't know if this is just the nature of a 788 or what I know that these two saws are totally different so maybe I just need to get use to it.

Very few saws cut exactly straight up and down with not front to back motion.  it is fairly normal for the blade to be moving in a very small vertical oval. It is this front to back motion that causes the spiral blade to cut better cutting like a normal flat blade than going to the side or backward.  The fact that it does this is no real worry because it is consistant and you can learn to do your control of the cutting with that in place. 

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
THAT MAKES SINCE I WAS WORRIED I GOT BIT BY THE BAD DEWALT BUG. GUESS I JUST NEED TO GET USE TO MY NEW SAW. OTHER THAN THAT THIS DEWALT RUNS LIKE A GT500 MUSTANG LOL.

SMF

Teknoromi