Author Topic: craftsman scroll saw  (Read 2266 times)

cowboysfanatic

craftsman scroll saw
« on: November 27, 2015, 09:58:50 pm »
Well I'm kinda disappointed by my craftsman saw it finally died today the motor is shot in the butt. I bought it back in July and put about 2 hrs a day on it. It did cut a lot of charles dearing mike Williams Steve d goods and other patterns. Performance wise it did a good job but long-term lasting well it just didn't last. I guess u get what u pay for so that being said I'm going to go with dewalt 788 or excalibur ex 16. Reston for ex 16 instead of 21 is the extra cost. I do use spirals so the smaller table shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else had problems with a craftsman saw.

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
Re: craftsman scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:46:24 am »
I see grizzly has the dewalt for $4.59 until the end of the month. They do charge shipping but a few months back, may still be in effect of you sign up for their emails they send you a $25.00 coupon
https://www.grizzly.com/products/20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »
I once had a DeWalt.  It literally fell apart in under two years.  A friend of mine had a DeWalt and had to replace the motor five times in five years.  He finally tossed it.  He and I are cutting thicker material and the DeWalt motors and linkage will not hold up to that. (3/4" - 2" stock)  Great for fret work I understand.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:26:31 pm »
Well I'm kinda disappointed by my craftsman saw it finally died today the motor is shot in the butt. I bought it back in July and put about 2 hrs a day on it. It did cut a lot of charles dearing mike Williams Steve d goods and other patterns. Performance wise it did a good job but long-term lasting well it just didn't last. I guess u get what u pay for so that being said I'm going to go with dewalt 788 or excalibur ex 16. Reston for ex 16 instead of 21 is the extra cost. I do use spirals so the smaller table shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else had problems with a craftsman saw.

I had a craftsman for a year, the newest model. Never noticed the problems until I got the 788. It did however run good for me when I started out in scrolling.

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:56:54 pm »
Yeah I was just looking this morning at grizzly and saw where the dewalt is on sale. It's a good price but am a little spooked about the horror stories about the type 2. But I know u can get a good one or a bad one in any brand. I gonna get either a excalibur or dewalt. Every where I look at for excalibur saws the ex 16 are all back ordered. Go figure lol

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »
Depends what you need it for I have a Dewalt the type 2 got it last year. Works great, but I am a hobbyist not a production shop

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 07:16:28 pm »
I put about 12 hours a week on it or so. Basically I get out to my shop about 4:45 in morning and work for about 2 hrs then leave for work. So I guess I would be like u a hobbiest.

SMF

Teknoromi