Author Topic: Packing Tape  (Read 3110 times)

dheaton

Packing Tape
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
I have followed your suggestions about using packing tape on my patters.  My question is there a good\easy way to get the tape off once the pattern is cut?  I find it difficult to remove the tape on the back side of the pattern.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Packing Tape
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:29:32 am »
I have followed your suggestions about using packing tape on my patters.  My question is there a good\easy way to get the tape off once the pattern is cut?  I find it difficult to remove the tape on the back side of the pattern.
A lot of us use that blue painters tape and put it directly on the wood then glue the pattern to it.  Some go the extra step of putting clear packing tape on top of the pattern after gluing it to the blue painters tape.  By using the blue painters tape, which is designed to be easily removed with little to no residue, you can get a clean pattern removal.  The cheapest blue tape I have found has been from harbor freight.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

dheaton

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 09:30:17 am »
A lot of us use that blue painters tape and put it directly on the wood then glue the pattern to it.  Some go the extra step of putting clear packing tape on top of the pattern after gluing it to the blue painters tape.  By using the blue painters tape, which is designed to be easily removed with little to no residue, you can get a clean pattern removal.  The cheapest blue tape I have found has been from harbor freight.

DW

Hmm.   have not tried the blue tape.  Do you put it all the way around the board you are cutting?

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:02:51 am »

Hmm.   have not tried the blue tape.  Do you put it all the way around the board you are cutting?
[/quote]

Most of the time putting it on a single side, the side with the pattern is what I do.  Unless I am stack cutting then I might wrap it around the whole project however normally this is not the case.

DW

dheaton

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:22:27 am »
Ya sorry I forgot to mention this.  I am stack cuttin two at a time so I need to wrap the whole thing.  I have been using packing tape but find it very hard to get off the back when I am done.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:02:49 pm »
You can wrap tape around the whole project or you can hot glue them together and then only tape one side or you can double sided tape the two together and tape one side.  It really is user preference. Personally depending upon the size of the project will determine if I put a layer of tape on the back side.  If the project is reasonably sized I take a wrap tape across the edges so the half the tape width is on the top and half the tape is on the bottom.  I get it secured that way and then just put the tape on the top surface.  Plan your cutting so the the project remains together until you are completed.  Of course these are just a few of the way I have used so take your pick there is nothing set in stone on how to do it.

DW

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
What I do, is to use a piece of posterboard as the back piece.  That relieves messing with the tape and also removes the fuzzies..  But then I sometimes do the same with the first piece too.  (in fact most of the time, except with intarsia.)  Most of my stack cuttings at at least 4 deep so I use toothpicks to hold the layers together.  The tape (the cheapest masking tape I can fine) is just for insurance and to glue the pattern to.   Good luck

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »
I like blue painters tape on bottom and pattern on top of wood then clear packing tape on top then when I'm done I just put thinner on top side and it pulls off easy let dry for a day then coat with lemon oil or whatever floats my boat

dheaton

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:15:29 am »
Thanks everyone for the help.

SMF

Teknoromi