Author Topic: Rusty blades  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Rusty blades
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
Sometimes it takes a non-scroller to come up with a simple solution to a problem we've probably all faced.  Even when I change out the 2 parts on the blade clamps that actually touch the blades, I still sometimes have trouble with the blade pulling out of the clamp.  On the De Walt, it was the bottom clamp, and the Excaliburs it's the top.  That's because on one I fed from the top down, and the other from the bottom up, so whichever clamp gets the most use, is the one that's going to fail.

Hubby suggested that if I soaked the ends -just the ends - of the blades in water until they start to rust, there would be a rougher surface and the clamp would hold better.  Sounded kind of crazy, but I gave it a try and IT WORKS!  Now I have a set of 50 colored test tubes in a holder so I can organize 10 different types and sizes of blades into 5 catagories each.  The top one is new, the next down is soaking the tops, the next is soaking the bottoms, next is a blade that I've used just a bit but still has some life in it, and the bottom tube is rusted & ready to cut.

The test tubes and holder is available on ebay or Amazon.  I actually ordered a set of 40 from Amazon, but twice they sent a set of 50, so I figured a use for the extras.  It's actually nice to have a place to put a used but still good blade.  I'm sure we've all tried a blade and realized it wasn't quite right for the job, but hate to put it back with new, sharp blades.

Hope this helps someone else out there.
Nancy

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Rusty blades
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:15:53 am »
Nice tip Nancy.  Another is to roughen up the ends with sand paper.  What ever works for you and you are comfortable using is what you should be using.  Thanks for the tip.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

ChuckD

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »
What I would be concerned with is the rust transferring to the clamps, which means you will have to use sandpaper to clean the clamps.  So. as I do and several others do also, clean the blades with sandpaper to start with.  Don't like the idea of rust near my machines, especially here in Oregon.  It is going to rain here someday, we hope.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:29:14 am »
Sorry but I don't think this is such a good idea. Rust contamination in the blade clamps is an accident looking for a place to happen. There is no way a rusty blade is going anywhere near my saw.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:03:30 pm »
Guess I've had better ideas.  I haven't had much trouble with the blades slipping lately anyway, 'cause I'm running behind on orders trying to cut the wine glass caddies one at a time with a #3 blade, so had to go back to cutting 2 or even 3 at a time with a #7.  There's more bulk to the top of the blade with a 7, so it holds better. 
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

SMF

Teknoromi