Author Topic: Foot speed controller  (Read 2961 times)

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
Foot speed controller
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »
Hi Steve,

A few days ago I upgraded to the Excalibur Ex-16 machine from a Scheppach machine which was great except that after two years of use the thermal overload/reset switch burnt out with a replacement costing over ?50 here in the UK.  Subsequently that burnt out and the root cause was found to be the speed controller - cost of replacement over ?90 and a total cost of nearly half of a new machine.  I thus cut my losses and upgraded.

Now, I feel sure that I've heard you refer to a foot operated speed controller for your Excalibur and other machines.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Over here in the UK the suppliers of Excaliburs have not heard of foot operated speed controllers.  As I said please correct me if I'm wrong but, if not, could you please give me a hint as to what to look for.  I realise I can't import from the US because of the differrent mains voltage.

Thanky you for any help.

Tony Smith

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Foot speed controller
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:49 pm »
Steve is usually too busy to check the forum but many members fill in for him. Let me try.

To my knowledge, most people only use a foot switch that is either off or on, much like a light switch. Speed control is achieved adjusting a dial on the scroll saw.

I believe that most of the saws require full line voltage (120 or 220/240), depending on where you are) to the control board in the machine.  The control board then modifies the power to suit the circumstance.  Using a foot operated speed controller would usually provide less than line voltage to the input of the saw and could easily burn out the control board and/or motor.

Perhaps someone could chime in with a different view but I'm quite sure nobody on this side of the pond uses a variable speed foot switch. Ray (EIEIO) is one who knows a lot about power, etc. and perhaps he will weigh in.

Hope this help,
Jim

Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
Hi, if there's such a thing as a foot  speed controller, I've never heard of it.  Of course, I've never heard of LOTS of things, but I think what you're thinking of is simply a foot controlled on-off pedal.  There are two kinds and it's just a matter of personal preference which you like.  I use what's called a Billy pedal, and you step on it once to turn the machine on, and again to turn it off.  Not sure what the other is called..perhaps that's a Dead Man pedal, but you need to keep constant pressure on it to keep cutting.  I've tried both and it drives me nuts to have to keep my foot on it, yet a good friend of mine uses one and loves it. 

Maybe I don't feel comfortable keeping it down all the time 'cause I also play piano and am used to constantly pressing the damper pedal down and letting it up, not keeping it down.  All the notes would run together...and remind me of one of my former students who used to forget to let the pedal up until the end of the song!

Hope this helps, and congrats on the new saw.
Nancy from Washington state
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 12:33:52 pm »
I use a "dead man" foot controller and would not be with out it!
Granted, you must keep your foot on it to make the saw run but, that is easier than trying to control the speed of the blade with your foot.
The reason I like it so much is that when you need to stop at the end of a cut, all you have to do is lift your foot and it STOPS! No feeling around with your foot to kill the power or letting go with one hand to hit the switch letting the blade run a few more strokes thus causing a "blurb" at the stopping point.
Also, you can keep both hands controlling the work piece at all times using a foot operated "on-off" switch.

Just my two cents worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:24:26 pm »
Hello Jim, Nancy and Rog,

Many thanks all for your help.  Clearly I got my 'facts' wrong so I'll stop searching.

However your advice makes me ask the following.  If, say, one stopped the cut each time one reached a corner to prevent over cutting (as is so easy for us newbies) would that cause any damage to the saw?

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

PS Nancy it sounds as though your pupil plays much like I play the piano - tends to cover up some (many?) errors.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:14 pm »
No Tony, It wont hurt the saw or the blade to stop the motor suddenly at the corner.
Sometimes you can just stop cutting at the corner and back the blade up back down the cut (with the motor running) and turn over to the other side of the corner or, you can stop the motor and do the same thing. Then after cutting out all of the center section out, go back in the opposite direction to clean up the corner to 90 degrees. (or what ever degrees is required)
Everyone has their own special way to skin this cat.  ;D
I don't think you can hurt a scroll saw short of throwing it on the floor or setting it on fire. The electrical problems are the only real worry and they can usually be repaired. Wearing it out from use or lack of mantaince are the real issues.

Rog 
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:49:16 am »
No Tony, It wont hurt the saw or the blade to stop the motor suddenly at the corner.
Sometimes you can just stop cutting at the corner and back the blade up back down the cut (with the motor running) and turn over to the other side of the corner or, you can stop the motor and do the same thing. Then after cutting out all of the center section out, go back in the opposite direction to clean up the corner to 90 degrees. (or what ever degrees is required)
Everyone has their own special way to skin this cat.  ;D
I don't think you can hurt a scroll saw short of throwing it on the floor or setting it on fire. The electrical problems are the only real worry and they can usually be repaired. Wearing it out from use or lack of mantaince are the real issues.

Rog

Thanks Rog.  It's much appreciated.

Tony

janciks

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:41:44 am »
Hi, where you ordered your new ex 16. Do they have web page? I am interesting in new scroll saw, but here in Latvia are not sellers who sells excalibur.

Janis

Offline tonyuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 10:07:22 am »
Hello Janis,

I'm sorry not to have replied sooner.  I've not had chance to look at this forum for quite a while.

The people I ordered from is here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Excalibur+scroll+saw

They happen to have an outlet near to where I live.  I can recommend without reservation.

Hope this is still of some help.

Regards

Tony

SMF

Teknoromi