Author Topic: G'Day from Adelaide, Australia.  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
G'Day from Adelaide, Australia.
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:52:20 pm »
I have worked with wood for most of my working life and only recently discovered Scroll Sawing. This was by accident when I was asked to make 2 name plates at the Men's Shed I belong too. I started out with reservations when I couldn't fathom out the scroll saw....then, after working out how it was done, I fell in love with the hobby.
That was 2 days ago. I discovered Steve's site when I tried to gather more information and found it to be very informative. Many thanks Steve for such a great site and for the fantastic patterns you have for all to use.

Dave.  ;D
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: G'Day from Adelaide, Australia.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
Welcome Dave.  There is about 200 years of accumulated knowledge here.  Feel free to ask questions and show off your work.  We love pictures :)  Scrolling is addictive but therapeutic.  What brand of saw do you have?

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:32:12 pm »
Hi DW....
Thanks for the welcome. I can add 2 more days to the 200 years of experience. I will certainly be picking the brains of the members very soon.
I know all about the therapy side of scrolling, my brother, Paul, passed away from mesothelioma a number of years ago. He spent many hours at his scroll saw to break through the pain barrier. He said that scrolling was a better pain control than any of his pain killers prescribed to him. He turned out some fantastic pieces and I would like to carry on his legacy.
I do not own a scroll saw as yet. I was using the Ryobi scroll saw at the Men's Shed I belong to. It certainly has it's limitations, so I am looking forward to buying my own saw very soon. 

Dave
My parents must have been psychic, as a child they were always telling me to 'Cut It Out'. So they knew a long time ago that I would become a scroll saw artist.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:56 pm »
The Ryobi is an ok saw to start off with.  There are a good many of us that use the Dewalt 788 some like the Excalibur.  There are a lot of saws at different prices and functionality.  I had a Hitachi scroll saw before I got my Dewalt.  It was a good saw but I wore it out hehe.  My suggestion is when you are ready to get one for yourself that you ask folks that scroll there.  They will be better able to guide you in what is available, easy ( easier ) to get, etc.  Looking forward to seeing your work.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 04:52:03 am »
Hi DW...

Some good news, I visited my older brother today and told him all about my experience at the Men's Shed and how I was enjoying it. Lo and behold, he took me to his shed and showed me his scroll saw...Makita SJ401 model. When I was about to leave, he told me to put the saw in my car and take it with me. Now I will be able to get stuck into some scrolling sooner than I thought.
I will take pictures and post them as I go along.

Dave.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 06:55:39 am »
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.  Congrats on the free saw.  (We gotcha now!)  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 06:26:12 pm »
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the welcome. I need to pop to the hardware store today to get some blades, then you wont be able to see me for the dust (sawdust that is)
Yes, you have got me hooked now.
I am hoping to get stuck into some of the Christmas ornaments featured on this site. I figured they would be easy enough to learn the basics to start with.

Dave

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 12:42:39 am »
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Victoria Australia.  Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Hawkdave

• Adelaide, Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:10 am »
Hi Marg...

Thanks for the welcome. Your user name and avatar gave you away as an Aussie. I look forward to chatting with you all to gain some more experience and add another woodcraft to my list of things to keep me busy.

My latest venture was into pen turning. I was amazed at how easy it was to get started and how keen people are to buy the finished products. I also make wooden street toys. We have a very close neighbour base where I live and we hold street parties every year. I usually make the games and toys that keep all of us busy. The kids are amazed that so much fun could come from playing games without power and batteries involved.
The other thing that takes a lot of my time is, I have a garden railway running around my garden and I am in the process of landscaping in miniature to keep in scale with the railway.

Dave

SMF

Teknoromi