Author Topic: Cutting the 0 in 50  (Read 2567 times)

rnrsingle

Cutting the 0 in 50
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »
Is there a secret to cutting the 0 in 50 without it looking like a big open circle? I am trying to do a 50th Birthday sign.

Offline rdatelle

• View Profile
Re: Cutting the 0 in 50
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
Circles are a real pain but if you take your time and go very slow and follow the line you'll do fine.
Ralph

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:42:24 pm »
If possible, try using scroll type, such as scroll beach italic. You can find it in Microsoft Word.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:07:41 pm »
Is there a secret to cutting the 0 in 50 without it looking like a big open circle? I am trying to do a 50th Birthday sign.

There are several fonts that have an open end to the 0 for instance any of the stencil fonts will have a 0 that has a gap running vertically several other fonts have one running horizontally.  Essentially you can make any font so that you can cut it without having a big gaping hole where an O or a 0 would be with the use of an image editor such as inkscape.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »
If you want to your sign as a raised letters you can get away without the bridge in the zero.

To see an example see this video.

https://youtu.be/CVL3ocujs6I

You may want to experiment with the angle based on the thickness of your blade and which way you go.

I think it is clockwise on the inside and counter clockwise on the outside.

Don

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:18:11 am »
If you want to your sign as a raised letters you can get away without the bridge in the zero.

You may want to experiment with the angle based on the thickness of your blade and which way you go.

I think it is clockwise on the inside and counter clockwise on the outside.

Don

Yes, you must "build bridges" on O's, P's, R's, A's, B's 9's, 8's 6's, 4's etc. How you do it is up to you, there are several ways to go about it. Just look at some stencil fonts and you will notice that again there are several ways to "skin this cat".

As for direction for cutting the inside or out side to get a taper for inlay, it all depends on how you tilt your table (or head). If you tilt the table left side down, cut the inside "clock wise" and the outside "counter clockwise". If you lower the right side of course, you do it the opposite way.

Hope that helps...  Rog

And of course the all important "50"! .....Look closely, you will see a 50!

Rog
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:27:25 am by Rapid Roger »
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:15 am »
Hey Don....  I sure liked your youtube.  Never thought about cutting letters like this.  Usually I just cut them and
glued.  Thanks for this tip.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi