Author Topic: Profile picture not available  (Read 1790 times)

EdN

Profile picture not available
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:01 am »
I tried to change my profile picture but got an error message that said my AVATAR was either too big or not an avatar.  I didn't want an Avatar I wanted an actual picture of me.  When I went to try again it now seems I don't have the option of choosing a picture, it only gives me the option of choosing an avatar.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is the system having problems?
Thanks in advance,
Ed in Odenton, MD

Offline PigsFly

• View Profile
Re: Profile picture not available
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:48 am »
Not sure if this solves your problem but "avatar" is just a reference name given to whatever you may choose to represent you in the box on the left portion of the screen.  It can be your picture, a picture of a piece of your work, or whatever you choose.  Short answer is to upload your picture as your avatar.
Doug

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously

EdN

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:34:12 am »
Not sure if this solves your problem but "avatar" is just a reference name given to whatever you may choose to represent you in the box on the left portion of the screen.  It can be your picture, a picture of a piece of your work, or whatever you choose.  Short answer is to upload your picture as your avatar.
Thanks PigsFly but I tried that.... a few times.  I kept getting an error message that said what I was trying to up load was either NOT an Avatar or it was too big.  I reduced it to 90 pixels and it still didn't work.  Now I'm thinking the problem may be because what I was trying to up load was a portion of a picture that I used  the "Grab" app to just show my head.  I'll try an original picture to see if that works.

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:37:50 am »
hi
forget the pixel bit
it needs to be 128kb or less
Dave

EdN

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:07 am »
OK... The problem seems to be that pictures with the extension of "tiff" will not work.  I tried one with jpg and it worked .... sort of.  The only problem is that when I posted it it was flipped 90 degrees.   

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:09 pm »
You can either reduce the size of your portrait picture to <128kB or provide a link if the picture is saved online in something like Picasa. You don't need to reduce it if it's a link to an on-line photo.

To reduce it, Steve has a resizer program on his main site. There are other apps available, including MS Office to reduce the byte count.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

EdN

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
Thanks all for your help.  For now I just posted a picture of my granddaughter and it worked.  The extension for the current profile pic is "png".  As long as the picture is <128kb and not a "tiff" extension I think it will work.  :)  Thanks again all.....
Ed

SMF

Teknoromi