Author Topic: Elephant with in Elephants Puzzle.  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
Elephant with in Elephants Puzzle.
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:03:22 am »
I cant find the posting now.  Does anyone have the pattern for the puzzle of a elephant and
each piece looks like a elephant?

want to  use it like the Apple my granddaughter did a few years ago.   and write each child's name
on a elephant and give to her teacher...  ( this teacher loves and collects elephants.)
Hope you can help..   and if its a pattern to buy that is fine.  just where do I buy it?
Lorace

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Elephant with in Elephants Puzzle.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:58:39 am »
I've sent you "ElephantPuzzle.pdf" using Bitcasa.
Click here to safely view the file:

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Bullfighter

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:23 pm »
Hi Lorace, could it be this pattern that you are looking for.
Peter

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:50 am »
Wonderful pattern Peter, thanks for your help.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 09:31:28 am »
I tried cutting some of these elephants. These are 4", 3.5", and 3" tall cut in 1" birch, 3/4" rock maple, and 1" poplar using an FDUR#9 blade. Colored with watercolor paint.

The poplar was the easiest to cut. The maple hardest to get a square cut so the pieces would slide from only one direction, but jam in the other direction.

The curves around the trunks in the center are the hardest to get square. They all stuck, but the poplar was the least. You can find the interferences by sliding in each direction. In all cases the piece would slide apart in one direction but get stuck in the other direction. These curves are too tight to get a file or sandpaper into it. I found that a bigger spiral blade (I used a #5) in the scroll saw works well as a very small file and can be used to remove the interferences so all pieces can be inserted and removed from either direction. There are scroll saw sandpaper "blades" that should also work but I've never tried them.

The watercolor doesn't interfere with the space between pieces - it soaks in more like a dye than a paint - but it leaves a dry feeling, high-friction finish (sort of like a flat wall paint). On the 4" elephant I used Johnson's Paste Wax on top of the watercolor - it makes a smoother finish that feels more like a toy and still does not interfere with the fit.   
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »
Those look great EiEio.  I prefer a #5 blade for standup puzzles for just the reason stated.  I've cut this puzzle and with a FD UR #5 had no sticking issues.  Love your dye job!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:07:17 am »
Just cut this pattern from 1" Sapele with a #3 Ultra Reverse.  I used a brand new blade, speed at 7, tension at 5 and took it slow.  Finish is Tung oil.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 01:57:13 pm »
Just wanted to let you know what a hit the Elephant was.   My granddaughter made one for her teacher for Christmas and she just loved it.   we added a few of  the kids names in her class to each elephant,
She made a few for a silent auction her class had to raise money to go to Washington DC at the end of the 8th grade class year( they also cooked a dinner and sold ticket... a car wash too!)
she sold 5 for $15.00 each!!!!
This was our first one.  each one got better.
Thank you so very much for the pattern!!!!!!
Lorace

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »
Did she get to cut some on her own? Sounds like a great way to get introduced to woodworking.

If you look around there are a ton of simple animal puzzles that could be seasonal - penguins for winter, bunnies for Easter, etc.

I just did some in cedar with the FDUR#5 and had no interference problems at all.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Lorace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »
Yes... she did them all!   I just help with the sanding and painting.   I'll post in a little bit in the Brag,  the Nativity set she is making too.  she sold 5 of them.  Sure she could have sold more if she had made more.
Look at my photo frame I made,   will post that soon.
Lorace

SMF

Teknoromi