Author Topic: sanding down draft table  (Read 2747 times)

terrypardue

sanding down draft table
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:11:50 am »
I know this is specially about scrollsaw but as all of us have to sand things does anyone have tips on making a down draft table. I am looking at incorporating one on the end of my work bench I am about to start making. My bench will be about 6-8 feet long. And I have to be able to do wood working and gun smithing on it. and does any one have pictures that i could see 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: sanding down draft table
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:33:39 am »
I sounds like you are willing to go a lot further with this project than I am, however I will post a picture of my down draft table anyway.
I actually built it about eight years ago and as a firm believer in KISS, this is what I ended up making.
A four sided box out of 1" x 3" pine, a piece of 1/4" plywood 12" x 23" and a piece of peg board with 1/8" holes on 1" centers. I put some of that non slip sanding mat on the bottom and Use the shop vac for suction. When not in use I sit it on a shelf under my work bench.

It has worked well for me on all my smaller projects for a long time.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
I do not have one yet but have been thinking about making one.  Mine needs to be a lot like
Rapid Roger's, portable so I can move it when not being used as my work bench is kind of small.  I like doing small projects so I am thinking about 12" x 24" or 12" x 36" and using pegboard with 1/4" holes using either 1" x 4" or 1" x 6" pine for the sides so I can use 4" line to my 2 hp dust collector or maybe my 1 hp dust collector.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:11:07 pm by tvman44 »
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »
I'm one that would like to have one but never got around to it.  Would "peg board" have enough holes in it?  Would you need to put a cross member across the middle under the peg board for support?  Would a dust collector get enough air flow through one to work properly or would the air flow be too restricted?  These are a few of the questions I have been pondering.  Maybe this is the year I get one made!

Robert H. Bigart

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:30:26 pm »
Years ago I built a lot of vacuum forming machines and know that you have to put a lot of spacers all over or you will suck the top and bottom if you cover a lot of holes.

Just a thought.

Bob

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »
1/4" peg board 12" x 36" would have enough holes for 4" hose.  I am thinking about 1 or 2 cross braces under the peg board with a couple of 2" holes or larger through each cross brace would give me 21.19 sq inches through the 1/4" peg board, 4" has a area of 12.56 sq inches.  I cannot think of anything else to use for the top except.  :)  1/8" peg board 12" x 36" would have 5.3 sq inches which would be good for a 2.5" line or a shop vac. :)
EX-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
The one I posted has 1/8" peg board with 1/8" holes on 1" centers. No cross bracing under the peg board or any other bracing at all. It has not caved in on me and the shop vac produces enough suction that if I lay a solid, flat piece of wood 6" x 6" or greater the suction makes it hard to pick up. Some times I have to turn off the vac or slide the piece to one edge to flip it over.  ;)
Mine measures 12" x 23" OS dimensions, but I'm afraid the if you get too much larger or increase the hole size too much, you might loose some of the suction power. However, saw dust isn't all that heavy so it may not make that much difference anyway.  :-\
Also the size might make a difference on where you store it if you are going to make it movable. I just don't have all that much room in my shop if I did, I would make bigger table with drawers for sanders and paper underneath and put it on wheels.  ;D
Some of you guys go ahead and experiment with various sizes and materials. I would guess that 1/4" thick peg board with 1/4" holes and about 18" x 30" would be a good place to start. Maybe even perforated metal about 16 gauge would make a nice top?  8)

Rog

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
I could possibly get by with 12 x 30, 12 x 24 is a little too short for my uses as I like to make signs that are very often 23 to 27 inches long.  Either way I will definitely put a couple of cross braces with large holes in them under the pegboard for extra support. :)
EX-21

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »
 ;D Here is a video I used when making my downdraft table.  http://youtu.be/J_OmRlL60Ys
GO PACK GO

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:16 am »
I found another video. This one installs the down draft section in a bench top.
You tube...."I Like to Make Stuff".
Bob made his only 18" x 18" but of course the size is easily changed to suit your situation. And he put it in an existing bench, if you are just starting your bench it should be a piece of cake!  ;D

Rog

SMF

Teknoromi