Author Topic: Seasonal Tradition Long Gone  (Read 2615 times)

pddesertrat

Seasonal Tradition Long Gone
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
I was just remembering some of the seasonal traditions our family had that are now long gone.  One of them that I remember as a kid was waiting for the arrival of the  Sears and Roebuck Christmas Catalog.  Once it arrived, my brothers and I spent hours going through the catalog, putting our initial by all the items we wanted.  By the time Christmas came the catalog was pretty well worn out.  My kids use to do it also when they were little.  Just one of the silly little things that is now history. 

Can you share some old family traditions that are no longer part of the season?

Robert H. Bigart

Re: Seasonal Tradition Long Gone
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:24:32 pm »
Hey Guy I think you are dating your self.

Bob

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »
Hi Paul. We send the grandkids the Sears Christmas catalogue, and Sears "Toy Shop" Catalogue. After they've had time to peruse each, and mark them accordingly we go on Tango and we mark ours at this end. They know they're not getting everything they ask for but it's a generous selection. Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »
I come from a big family (I was #5 of 10). On Thanksgiving was drew names from a hat to see who we were buying a present for Christmas. We continued it for a few more years after the youngest grew up and moved out. I don't know why we stopped.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
We use to draw names with our Aunts and Uncles that came for Christmas.  One of my Uncles drew my name.  About a week before Christmas he came over with my present all wrapped up only he had cut a small hole in the top of the package.  He also brought along a small bag of cracked corn and told me I had to put a little in each day to feed whatever it was. Also, do not shake or move the package around or I might hurt it.   I fed it each day and protected the package for a week until Christmas.  When I got to open the package,,, it was a basket ball hoop!

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:38 am »
We use to draw names with our Aunts and Uncles that came for Christmas.  One of my Uncles drew my name.  About a week before Christmas he came over with my present all wrapped up only he had cut a small hole in the top of the package.  He also brought along a small bag of cracked corn and told me I had to put a little in each day to feed whatever it was. Also, do not shake or move the package around or I might hurt it.   I fed it each day and protected the package for a week until Christmas.  When I got to open the package,,, it was a basket ball hoop!

I GOTTA REMEMBER THAT ONE!!  ;D ;D
That is the best thing I've heard in a long time. Guess what the grand kids are getting next year!!  ;D ;D   Not sure of the gift yet but, the box will have a hole in it!!  ;D ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

pddesertrat

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:16 am »

I GOTTA REMEMBER THAT ONE!!  ;D ;D
That is the best thing I've heard in a long time. Guess what the grand kids are getting next year!!  ;D ;D   Not sure of the gift yet but, the box will have a hole in it!!  ;D ;D

Rog

Well maybe your Grandkids won't be as naive as I was.  I believed anything my uncles told me.   They were the greatest.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:01 pm »
We also use to draw names for Christmas, but then as the grand kids got older the family grew was already big family, but then also come dollar general then come along really cheap gifts, so that stopped, then we started just doing a man and woman gift if you wanted to play along a man brought a mans gift and woman bought a woman, they were wrapped with just man or woman on it, numbers were than added and you drew a number adn that was a gift you got, then come dirty santa same man woman gift but this time you drew a number but then could trade or steal from somebody was fun while it lasted. Then it was ornament exchange that was short lived as then dollar tree come about instead of putting forth the limit of 10 bucks members were going really cheap so I stopped, plus alot of argueing or somebody got mad they got a cheap dollar gift and not the one they wanted or hopes they got the one they bought it just got stupid.

Anymore I tell everybody since its a big family why not just get together have dinner and visit with those you don't get to see all year, spend family time, share stories and such gift giving to me has gotten to be a hassle and crazy and people expect too much. To me holidays is about time with family, enjoy that quality time with each other, you never know what will happen in the next year.

thumbs

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:57 am »
Paul--thanks for the memories.  My brother and I did the very same thing. I had totally forgot about that practice.. As we have got older it is harder to give gifts to everyone- we have 4 sons, 17 grand kids and 8 great grand kids. I make a lot of gifts for them and everyone seems to enjoy them. every one have a very merry Christmas--Richard aka thumbs

SMF

Teknoromi