Author Topic: Oh my ! My saw is down  (Read 2004 times)

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
Oh my ! My saw is down
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »
I have been cutting out Christmas presents for 3 weeks. I got 10 done and started on the last 4 today. I have  Craftsman 16 in. variable speed saw. It has vibrating pretty bad and today it got a lot worse. I broke 8 blades first thing this morning (I haven't broke that many in 2yrs). I took it apart and found bushing on lower arm wore out and the hole in the arm is wollered out also. I will call Sears in Springfield,Mo. in morning to see if they have parts for it.

I am going to buy a new saw in near future. The EX21 is what I have been looking at. Do any of you have any suggestions on this saw or a different one maybe.

Thanks,
George
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Oh my ! My saw is down
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:22:28 pm »
Ex-21.  Best. Saw. Ever. 

I truly LOVE mine! It does cost more, but you will NOT regret it. Be sure to get it from Seyco and Ray. He is the expert and will make sure it purrs like a kitten before it is shipped.

Maybe Santa will bring you one! ;) 

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline arkiewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:07 pm »
Thanks Sheila, I was trying to cut the Cardinal pattern and it was more than the worn out parts could handle.Hope I can get it fixed to get my sisters plaques done.
Let's make some saw dust!

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:40:50 pm »
I had a DeWalt (one of the "good" type 1 DeWalts) for over 10 years and I thought I would never want another saw. But it was getting old and I thought I should have a back up with it being my livelihood and all, so I tried the Excalibur. 

Both Keith and I believe that our skills have improved so much because of the wonderful, smooth action of this saw. I honestly think that once you try one you will really be thrilled with it. I can't say enough good about it.

As I said - I know it is rather expensive, but you do get what you pay for in this case. It is really nice. I hope you get your presents finished up. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:35:53 am »
I bought my EX21 used and would not trade it for any other saw.  Ray at Seyco has always given me excellent service even though it was not a new saw.  I have had it for well over 10 years and used to use it daily - all day.  It is how I got my kids through college.  Now it is a hobby and I still use it very often.  It has only needed major service once and Ray sent me the parts and talked me through the repair.  I was up and running in 2 days.  You can't get any better than that.  My favorite feature on this saw is that the table stays stationary and the head tilts.  It makes spiral cuts and bevel work so easy because you don't have to fight gravity to do them.  I don't know of anybody who has regretted buying this saw.

mlwmerk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:58 am »
I too had the same difficulty with my Craftsman 16 inch scroll saw which I have owned for about 10 years.  I disassembled it, figured out what the problem was and ordered parts to fix/replace the lower arm and repair the broken air bellows.

I ordered parts online at the Sears repair parts site to repair it.  I figured that I would rebuild the saw since I had it all apart.  I like doing this sort of thing. 

After about a couple of weeks, about $100 worth of parts, and some assemble, disassembly hassles, the saw now runs pretty well.  I'd say it is adequate for my uses.  Granted I have never used the Dewalt, Porter Cable nor other saws so I really have nothing with which to compare.

I don't scroll so  much any more since my wife "mandated" that there is no room for "all that stuff" in the house any more.  I'll keep the repaired Craftsman Scroll Saw since I like it and don't feel like spending another $800-1000 on a new "super saw"

That being said, if you really want a new and better saw "in the near future", don't bother fixing the Craftsman saw and go with the other folks say.  I would too if I had the extra money to spend.

Walt in CT

pddesertrat

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:28:17 am »
You might check "ereplacementparts,com" for part if you decide to repair.  I have always had good service from them.

I have the 21 Ex.  I've only had it since July, I think.  I went to it from the DeWalt.  Mine was a Type 2 DeWalt and I think the fear of the latter type 2 is way over stated, could be wrong, but I had no problems with mine.  I would have no fear buying a type 2 if I could ensure it was not one of the first batches built when they first started producing them outside of Canada.

I upgraded to the Ex on a whim there was nothing wrong with my DeWalt.  I will say I think the Ex is a better saw, not sure it is almost $500 better, but I like it.  I runs a little smother.  The upper arm lifts higher which is nice.  I like the tension lever more than the DeWalt.  I have not had an occasion to cut anything at an angle, so I can't speak to the tilting head verses the tilting table. 

I do think that if money is not the big issue I would recommend the Ex over a DeWalt.  It is a step up.  I had a little craftsman years ago and the Ex is a huge step up from the one I had for sure.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »
I have been cutting out Christmas presents for 3 weeks. I got 10 done and started on the last 4 today. I have  Craftsman 16 in. variable speed saw. It has vibrating pretty bad and today it got a lot worse. I broke 8 blades first thing this morning (I haven't broke that many in 2yrs). I took it apart and found bushing on lower arm wore out and the hole in the arm is wollered out also. I will call Sears in Springfield,Mo. in morning to see if they have parts for it.

I am going to buy a new saw in near future. The EX21 is what I have been looking at. Do any of you have any suggestions on this saw or a different one maybe.

Thanks,
George

I had this same saw did the same thing lasted a year, I looked for parts sears has them at baout 100 bucks, cost of a new craftsman saw 130 bucks, so 30 more bucks can get another saw to finish up and work on getting a better saw like my EX-16. All depends what you want to do, to me you buy the saw for 130 but takes 100 to repair to me its not worth it, and to buy a better built saw.

SMF

Teknoromi