Author Topic: Making patterns of dark skinned people......and dark animals.  (Read 884 times)

CharlesDearing

Making patterns of dark skinned people......and dark animals.
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »
I saw the wording briefly mentioned in another thread so I thought I would offer my input on the subject.  In 99% of the cases, the process of the pattern making and the final result is based on the features and/or shadows of the person/people.  Yes, sometimes you will see light reflecting off of a dark skinned person's face, etc but, you still want to concentrate on their facial features and shadows.  If done "correctly" their features are what make them who they are and extra effort to show their ethnicity isn't really needed. 
Now, with black fur or dark fur on animals, you usually rely completely on the light reflections.  Those, if feasible, will be what you keep while cutting out the dark areas.  I'm not very good at outright teaching, but can answer questions if anyone has any.  Some examples at the link below of dark skinned people and dark fur animals.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/artistic_cowboy30/Dark_zpsf0cfac39.jpg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:17:59 pm by CharlesDearing »

Kragax

Re: Making patterns of dark skinned people......and dark animals.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »
I understand this premise. When I was doing photography we learned that sometimes even in bright daylight you should use a flash when photographing a dark face especially if the sun is to the side or behind them. You want to see the facial features and contours not the reflections. Shadow and light is a hard thing to learn when drawing and I see sawing is the same to a certain extent. 

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Making patterns of dark skinned people......and dark animals.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:58 am »
Many years ago I had an order for someones black cat.  I worried over it for hours in the end I cut it out and painted it black, was the only thing I could come up with at the time.  Anyway she loved it, which was the main thing, but after reading you mini tutorial I think I would have a different view now.  Thanks Charles.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi