Author Topic: Links for Websites  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Links for Websites
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:05:37 pm »
I will try to explain what I mean hopefully!!!!
When you wish to insert a website address eg: http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php

How do you make it so it's one or two words not 40 plus, like Steve's above you want to make it something like
(Scroll Forum) or (click Here).
Is that clear or is it mud??.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

smw

Re: Links for Websites
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:56:33 am »
I understand what you mean but BB code needs to be activated  on the forum
It should work like that but I think bb code needs to be turned on then all you see is the click here or whatever text you want.
Have you seen this on the forum somewhere Merlin?

<a href="http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php">click here</a>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:55:50 am by smw »

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:59:07 pm »
Hi Merlin,

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. try these two things and see if you are getting the results you are hoping for:

1.  Upper left, where it starts out "http"  or "www", RIGHT CLICK that area and it should turn blue, which means that you can type over it.  Often when you start typing, it will give suggestions of what the computer thinks you want.  If you get an option you want, click on it.  Just as an example, Right click the area and type "foxnews"   It is not necessary to use any capital letters.

2.  Here is what I do if I might be skeptical about a site.  We use McAfee for virus & spyware protection.  I go to Google & type a site.
 into their Search Box.  It gives options.  McAfee puts a green check mark by OK sites & a question mark by others that they have doubts about.

I hope this is of some help.

jerry

Offline tas2181

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
Merlin, you can type in the BBC code for the URL using the code found here.
Go down to URL in the alphabetized list and the code is shown there.
Basically you use the hyperlink button in the compose message and change the first bracket following the first [url] to an equal sign, then put in the left facing bracket after your url (IE: http://stevedgood.com/community/index.php) then type in the text you want to have someone click on after that bracket and before the ending bracketed url.
Hope that is somewhat clear :). If you go to the link I mentioned you will see what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:14:17 pm by tas2181 »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:14 am »
Thanks Tas exactly what I was after, wondering if that works on all forum sites...must try.

***Merlin***
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:23:56 am by Merlin »
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:44:37 am »
@ smw, I really wish you wouldn't give out Misinformation on this website please.  >:(

BBC code does work on this forum as always has. For instance 96?, notice the degree sign in BBC code, or ? and Mikes Workshop Click Here edited url for Mike's.   8)

tas2181 has posted what you are looking for Merlin and the link. If your not sure how to use it I will try to send info to explain.  :)

Hope this helps.  :)

Russ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:46:51 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »
Thanks Russ yes I did understand Tas2181 and I done it on the link to the Jesus pattern.
I did not understand what smw was quite getting at and was going to repost but Tas281 had what I needed to, now I know what a bbc code is  8) .

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »
Merlin - If I can offer a version of this, what you're asking about is called a Hyperlink - making a click on a word redirect you to another address. This one links to the Wiki page for "Hyperlink".---This is a Hyperlink---

You can start that by using your mouse to select the text you want to use for the link, then hitting the URL button (the button with the Earth on it, below the I italics button above). Your text then looks like:
                        {url}Hyperlink{/url} (I changed the square brackets '[]' to squiggles '{}' so the BBC engine doesn't interpret it)

Now copy the link address and paste it into the opening url clause (you need to add the equal sign):
                        {url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlink}Hyperlink{/url}
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:08 pm »
Russ, Is there a list of what code options are turned on for this version of Simple Machine, or is it only the buttons at the top of the create post window?

I ask because a while back I was trying to use an imbed video forum code to help someone with a Dewalt saw problem and couldn't make it work in preview.

Ray

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:10:49 pm »
There is no complete code list that I know of. Simple Machines does have a list of codes but it is very short and doesn't contain all of them.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Alphabetical_list_of_all_bulletin_board_codes.

So far every code that I have used has worked.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:12:40 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi