Author Topic: Still got that new saw smell  (Read 1805 times)

Offline lanemaux

• "Doctor Who" beats "The Voice", always!
    • View Profile
Still got that new saw smell
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:42 am »
 Hello gents , first post here and brand spankin new to the world of scrolling. I'm not the most serious guy in the world , so expect a touch or two of humour . I feel that if I can't sing and dance a bit , then it ain't worth playing.
  Most of my interest in scrolling is in cutting bits for toys , puzzles and models. So basically a 250 pound over 50 type with the focus and maturity of a 10 year old.
  I do belong to another forum for woodworking and am primarily a hand tool sort , so if that is of help to anyone , maybe I can contribute a bit that way as well.
  My saw is a pinned bladed 13 inch Delta that was picked up for 25 Canuck bucks second hand. In real money that is fairly cheap , so not expecting miracles from it. At least it's fairly quiet.
  Looking forward to learning lots from you guys and maybe getting good enough to show some work eventually as well as maybe helping someone even more hopelessly inept than myself. Not holding my breath on that last bit though.
Murphy was an optimist

Offline pierre62

• View Profile
Re: Still got that new saw smell
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:28:54 pm »
Wellcome lanemaux to the forum
Pierre

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13:52 pm »
Welcome and glad you are joining in.  I can accept humor.....  What kind of models are you referring to?

Offline lanemaux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:19:56 pm »
Thank you for your welcome gents. the models I was thinking of were of the aircraft ,boat and car type. My idea was to print paper models and cut them from thin plywood. As these are a non commercial use of these patterns I don't believe that any copyright infringement applies. Most that I've seen are available for free printout and some seem fairly advanced and therefore in the far future. I loved plastic models when I was a kid and think I'll have a good time trying to make this work. Even if it doesn't , since I'm cutting mostly scrap it costs nothing and keeps me out from under miladies feet. Win and win. I have health issues and a hobby seems a good idea.
Murphy was an optimist

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:51 pm »
Welcome:     I have made small airplanes as toys , but long before I had a scroll saw I made a bunch of radio controlled balsa planes.  I have attached a photo of a six inch long toy saber jet and the pattern I used to make a ten inch P-51.  Fun to do.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »
Hi, welcome from Beautiful Southern Oregon where it is hard to breathe because of the smoke. 
I am sad to have to tell you that humor is not allowed here, right GB. Rob Roy, and a host of other very serious guys and gals. 

Offline lanemaux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:38:25 pm »
Thank you Russ, Jim . I did take note of your Sabre in the original post Jim and very much like it. I was a member of the Air Cadets myself , and that means model aircraft in most mediums. I remember a Piper Cub in military trim in balsa and doped tissue paper by Guillow I believe. Rubber band motivated and had a devil of a time trimming it for level and straight, thing had a mind of it's own.The drawing you used looks like it might be the sort I'm after , have you a link? Do they have others? My present interest is in Schnieder Cup racers from the golden age of flight, airborne sculptures.
Murphy was an optimist

Offline lanemaux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:41:56 pm »
Hi Chuck . Not to worry , I shall try to keep it dry enough to slip in under the radar so to speak. My wife claims that my humour is often so dry it blows away before being noticed.
Murphy was an optimist

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:41 pm »
Yes, I have the same problem.  I will say something I think is funny and all I get is a quiet stare and then they will catch on and two minutes later they are laughing, sometimes. Good luck with this bunch, sometimes they never on unless you draw them a picture.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:03:30 am »
Welcome! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:52:28 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

SMF

Teknoromi