Author Topic: Source for Scrolling Wood  (Read 1889 times)

pddesertrat

Source for Scrolling Wood
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:06:04 am »
I do a lot of wood working without much money.  I use a LOT of recycled wood and am always looking for resources to get it.  The other day I as in the local Habitat for  Humanity store because my wife wanted some doors to use a tables for a big yard sale we are preparing for.  I found some very nice doors with great skins on them for $2.50 each.  I think the skins would make great wood for scrolling.  Most are around 3/16" or 1/8" thick.  If nothing else they would make good backers or practice wood. They will have finish on most of them, don't know if that is good or bad.   Just a thought.  Probably not a knew one. 

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Source for Scrolling Wood
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:39 am »
I don't think you are going to have much luck peeling the skin off of a door. Most hollow core doors have a honey comb center and the skin is glued to it. I am afraid the it will just split and break up when you try to remove the outer skin and even if it doesn't, it will probably have glue and splinters of the honey comb stuck to it making it hard to use for much of anything.
That being said, a lot of places sell door skin material for re-skinning doors and cabinet makers use it to resurface doors and drawers on older cabinets. It does work and I have some on hand however it doesn't scroll all that well and wants to warp and splinter quite a bit. I some times use it but am never happy with the results.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

pddesertrat

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »
I have removed some skins from old doors in the past and never run into the honey comb.  Mine must have been real cheap doors!  Unless the skin is already separating from the frame, I don't actually try to pry it off. I cut out around the frame, which has given me a couple good size pieces off each side.  I didn't know about the splintering, I have never tried to scroll with it.  Maybe after the "big" sale, I can sneak one of the door and see what I run into.  May not be worth the effort.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »
My best luck has been at a cabinet shop.  One has a dump trailer and I was told I could have anything in it.

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:16 am »
Rapid Roger, I give this one to you.  The skins are not a good idea for scrolling.  I tried some and the plys were so thin, there was no way to prevent them from lifting and flaking.  They could only be used for backer boards if anything.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »
If you can find some older doors before honey comb came to being used the ply was real ply and the iner frame was timber/lumber.
My house is 70 years old and the doors had the main frame around the outside and one in the centre and then 1/4 way from the top and another 1/4 way up from the bottom.
And the ply was very nice to cut.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:49 pm »
Rapid Roger, I give this one to you.  The skins are not a good idea for scrolling.  I tried some and the plys were so thin, there was no way to prevent them from lifting and flaking.  They could only be used for backer boards if anything.

This is where I get most of the "junk" wood for the top and bottom layers for my stacks.  I attached the patterns to them at the top of the stack and when finished the cut=out, throw them away.

SMF

Teknoromi