Author Topic: For the Grandkids - patterns  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Al W

• View Profile
For the Grandkids - patterns
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:25:18 am »
Ok folks, going to give this one a try.  I have the patterns, just not sure how to get them here, but .......

These images are all roughly 2.5 inches wide/tall with some variations.  If the pages print correctly, you will notice a set of horizontal and vertical lines running through the images - these lines should print as well and will assist in placing the cut blocks on a grid pattern on your plate (or piece of wood to place the shapes).  

I cut the blocks (shapes) from 3/4 or slightly thicker wood and left the pattern on the block after doing some initial sanding.  Leaving the pattern on provides these placement lines for the grid.

I cut my plate to approximately 12" x 12", running between 1/4" and 1/2" thick, and ran grid lines horizontal and vertical - equally spaced, or in this case at three inch intervals.  After getting the plate prepared, I placed the blocks with the lines on the plate (random placement on my part, but did play with them for appearance) and drew the outline of the blocks onto the plate.  Off to the scroll saw and cut out the shapes.  I used a fairly small blade and stayed on the line.  Worked for me.

If the block is slightly tight in the plate - you may either sand the block if the shape permits or sand the plate to accommodate.

If you have questions - throw them at me and I will attempt an alternative explanation.    

Happy Cutting and have a decent day.

I notice the patterns do not appear, however, they are at the bottom of this post.  

Al

These should open using Adobe - when you go to print, select the "fit" option, should work well for printing.  Thanks Dunk.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:53:45 am by Al W »
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: For the Grandkids - patterns
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:52:30 am »
Thank you.  You did  nice job.  I'll be cutting these soon.  I had to re-size the patterns to get them to fit on a page but that was a simple matter within my print program.  Just pointing that out in case someone else runs into difficulty.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »
Al - here's a knock-off of your design. This one is painted with watercolor paint - it comes out more like a stain so the grain shows through. It's 8"x8" using shapes from Visio.

I used an FDUR#1 blade to cut the shapes from the square, but they were too tight for the 4 year old to work. So I used the belt sander to knock down the edges and break the sharp corners.

Thanks for the good idea.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:00:03 am »
Very nice toy!
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the pattern. They open up just fine.

ussscamp

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:44:32 pm »
OK thanks for the help.

SMF

Teknoromi