Author Topic: test blade  (Read 1991 times)

jjt

test blade
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:30 am »

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: test blade
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »
Pretty good blade to cut that long and still be a good blade to keep cutting. Looks to be cutting good and smooth too, what size were they using? Wonder if they make smaller sizes for fret work, would be good in hard woods that love to eat up blades.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:26:50 pm »
The label on the test board said it was a size 14. Even an Olson #14 could do that!
Dan In Southern California

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »
Ok haven't got my blade numbers down just yet. So really the olsan can cut that beech as well(no pun intended) and as long?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »
A#14 is huge for a scroll saw blade. It's about the size of a 1/8 band saw blade. For fret work you will be using sizes 5 and lower. Go with Flying Dutchman blades. You can't go wrong!
Dan In Southern California

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »
Yea I so want to order some FD blades, but just haven't been able to yet.

Becky

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:48:43 am »
I didn't even know blades came in #14 size.  That's huge!  But I get all my blades from FD Mike and maybe that size isn't available in FD.  Or perhaps I am just unobservant.  I bought some #12 blades from Mike when I was just starting out and really didn't understand what I would need.  I still have them.

Actually, I was more interested in how the saw did it all by itself.  I can imagine times when I would view that as rather handy.   ;)

jjt

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:04 am »
Hi to all.
Just some comments regarding the blade used for the test :
1) The size is 14 and nothing to see with OLSON or FD. There are not only these two blades on the market!! This blade and all the PEGAS blades are manufactured in Switzerland by Scies Miniatures S?rl, part of Grobet Files CO in USA.
2) Yes it?s a huge blade, but the target of this test is to know the lasting of the blade. Of course all the Pegas blades are similar regarding the performances.
3) This blade (the same blade) which already cut one time 150 slices and after again 100 slices is still perfectly sharpened and the test is continuing ?..You will see another video in a few days.
 4) An EX21 was specially modified in order to make tests absolutely free of human perturbations during the cutting phase. Nobody push on the wood part, like you saw on the video. This is the only way to obtain a test absolutely impartial.
5) If any other similar test were already made in the past with any blade, please let me know I?m curious to see the results.
 6) I don?t want to create a polemic, just help my passionate friends like myself.

All the best to all woodworking fanatics!

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:26:09 am »
I have used both the Pegas and Mike's FD blades and both are good value. The Pegas is the best blade I have used for cutting hardwood and i use Mike's for finer work in my opionion the Pegas is a superior blade for most work,no offence Mike aka FD
R F R

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 07:17:54 am »
I have some #12 Olson blades.  I have no real use for them.  They are thick and clunky and a #14 isn't going to be much better.  Even cutting 2" wood, they are akward and very hard to make a turn.

SMF

Teknoromi