Author Topic: My Next Scroll Saw  (Read 21400 times)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Re: My Next Scroll Saw
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:32 am »
I had a Hawk 220VS that I really liked but sold because I wanted to be able to top feed.  Bought the EX-21, a good saw, then found I preferred bottom feeding anyway(LOL).  I then bought a Hawk G4 and replaced the top clamp with one from Pozgazi which works very well for me.  I also bought the lower clamp from P. but found it difficult to use and put the original back on.  Today I use both saws, but prefer the Hawk.  I've never had either of the Hawks stall out at low speeds.  

There are lots of Hawks out there for sale on Craigs List that have had little use and at great prices.  I bought the 220vs (a 2006 model) new in an unopened box for $299, and the G4 for $500. If you know the s/n call Bushton and they will tell you when it was made and anything you may want to watch out for.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:52:30 am by Crabbyboater »
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 11:11:54 pm »
Terry, couldn't remember the pozgai name.  Let me know if you try the clamps.  I have not spoken with anyone who used them to judge if they are worthwhile.  I haven't had any stalling problems with my saws.  I know at one point they changed the type of motor used.  Perhaps yours were before the change?  As to the bottom feeding, I guess I just got used to that over the years.  It is what is normal to me.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

paulm1

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:48:08 am »
Well guys this is my first post.  I have just received my new Delta 40-695 from Woodcraft and am in the process of putting it together.  I will report on it as time goes on.  The fit and finish seems to be outstanding.  I don't know all the particulars about the Delta Co. but I do know that the employees bought the company back from Dewalt/Jet and are now building some of their own machines in the Carolina's. Since they moved back to the US I am going to try and stay with them as I truly like to "Buy American" when and where I can. My old Delta was just giving me to much grief but I must say it has held up fairly well.   

Terry Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 08:12:32 pm »
Bill the Diver:

I put a Pozsgai clamp on the upper arm of the 220VS.  It is well made, machined and not stamped, and works well. Slide the blade in and pull the lever on the left toward you.  On the right is an adjustment knob for varying blade thicknesses and amount of grip. At the time he had not gotten a bottom clamp in production, but that may have changed.  I am going to change the clamps to his design in the fall on the 226VS and the bottom clamp on the 220VS if he has one, so that's how well they work for me.  He is near Portland, Oregon, and is quite helpful, and either answers the phone or will call you back.

Regarding the stall comment, I stack-cut everything and at the lowest speed on a sharp turn the blade noticeably slows, but has never stopped.  It may be I have an older model, as I got it from a sign shop and it had been used.
Terry

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:16 pm »

Bill & Terry, I really like the Posgazi upper clamp on my G4, and believe It's the same one that goes on the 220 and 226vs units.  It grips more of the blade than the original clamps and I've never had a blade slip from it.  As for the lower clamp from Posgazi, I didn't like it because it was permanently mounted under the table requiring me to stand on my head, so to speak to clamp the blade.  I went back to the original because you can pull the clamp out, insert the blade, and then simply put the clamp back into its mount, which is easy.  I have four or five of the original clamps so I can have other blades inserted and ready.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
I can stand a Nickle on end on top of the EX-21 work table and it won't fall over when I run the saw.  Ray @ SEYCO is the man to deal with, good service, very knowledgeable and completely sets up each saw before shipping. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

IBMer

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »
Seyco seems to be out of stock.   I sent a note asking when they might have more in, but never received a reply.

Terry Jackson

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 11:18:04 pm »
Well it is Friday.  Monday call them.  Ray has been very responsive.

If the Hawk is to be a bottom feeder then going with the original clamp on the bottom makes sense.  If it is to be a top feeder then replacing the bottom clamp makes sense.  Top feeding works for me and I can do it strictly by feel, as in the 788 and the EX21. 

Offline phantom scroller

• I'm Over the pond or In a pond. Hartpury in UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 09:34:33 am »
I've just bought the EX-21 had it for two weeks there's only one word for it OUTSTANDING!!

It so quite, no vibration and you can lift the arm out of the way and it stays there which is a novelty to me and you can adjust everything.

Summary It's the Ferrari of the Scrollsaws a precision tool.

Roly

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »
I happened to be on Ebay last night and someone has listed a brand new, never assembled RBI 226 vs, still in the box.  I think the current price was about $500 if I remember correctly.  Had good pictures of it to.  It is in Clearwater, so that is close to me, but I just don't need it.  It would be a duplicate of mine.

Thanks for the info on the clamps.  Maybe i will just order the top one and give it a try.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:16 am »
Hey Paulm1, Congrats on the new saw - go over to the introduction section and let us know who you are.  We are glad to have you.

ShadowB6

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »
As mentioned earlier here, I bought the best saw I could afford. I had nearly given up this hobby a few years ago because of the low end saw that I had. I've now owned my EX21 for 2 years and am in scroll sawing heaven. Being Canadian, I've placed a Loonie ($1) on my saw, turned it up to the max and the coin doesn't even move or shimmy. I bought it from Ottawa Fasteners from a gentlemen named Fred who was nothing short of being the best. He explained everything to me and allowed me to try the saw out in the store. It was a good buying experience and the saw has been a real dream to own. The saw right now has over 700 hours of operating time and it purrs like the day I bought it.

Just adding my nickel to the conversation as we don't have pennies anymore, so I can't add my two cents.

Mike

IBMer

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
So, I waited and waited and waited for an Excalibur to become available, but it sounds like it will be June or longer before they are restocked.

So I decided to buy a Dewalt 788, which seems to be a popular saw for many..     I've checked with my local woodworking store a half dozen times, and they never had one in stock.   Ordering one carried a hefty shipping fee..    Today, I walked in and to my surprise they had just received 2....    One had already been sold earlier in the day, so one was left.   Their Dewalt Display had a tag for $530 and noted that it came with the saw, light, stand...    Sounds reasonable...     I've seen Woodcraft run this deal before and figured this shop had the same thing going on...

I heard a lot of moaning, groaning and straining from the stock room.  It sounded like they had a heck of a time getting it out of inventory.   Finally they carted it out.   I was a bit shocked when the total came out to $665.   I asked why it was so much more than the sign stated.   Well, that's for our store display model.   Do you want it instead?   Uh, NO.....

Man...   I wasn't about to tell them to put it back into inventory.   I buy a lot of stuff there and know the guys by name, as they do mine.    I know I overpaid for it, but I was so glad to actually find a saw that I rushed home and put it together.. 

I'm sure I'll put it to good use, especially since I paid a premium price.     Of course, now that I have it all put together, I've run out of time and need to get ready for my real job...   Looks like I won't get to play with the saw until tomorrow morning.   Watch it not work  :'(

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »
Something is wrong there! Usually the store DOES NOT want to sell the display item because they have to pay an employee to set up another one. I would seriously go back and talk to them about posting a price in public and then hold-up a customer for more because it is in the stock room and NOT set up.
I know that you don't want to upset your "friends" but,I really think your "friends" took advantage of you on the price. Unless you have a HUGE sales tax in your area.
Just my dos centavos worth.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
Congratulations John! Regardless of the price, it should serve you well. Before you install the table, sand it down with some 220 grit sand paper with some WD40 as a lubricant. After you have it smooth, wipe it down with some mineral spirits to clean off the WD40. Then wax it down with a wax that does not contain silicone such as Johnson's paste wax. Before you tighten the two mounting screws, install a blade and tension it. Center the blade in the hole of the table, then tighten the screws.
Enjoy your new toy!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi