Author Topic: Blade Life?  (Read 2985 times)

americancanuck

Blade Life?
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:11:58 am »
Is there some kind of a general rule of thumb about when I should be considering a blade to be worn out? When I am done cutting or have to change blades should I save the used blade or not? I am using Flying Dutchman Scroll Reverse blades

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Blade Life?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:20:15 am »
Blade life can vary a great deal no matter which brand you use.  Type of wood, thickness of wood, speed all play a part in blade wear.  I find that when you need to 'work' too hard to push the material through the blade, it is getting to be time to change to a fresh blade. You may also see other signs such as burning of the wood (you can usually smell it before you see it) which indicate a dull blade.  Sometimes you don't want a really sharp blade, as when you are doing really intricate work on pieces that aren't very thick.  A 'slightly worn' blade can give you more control and make your job easier. 

I also suggest applying a layer of clear packaging tape over all hardwood that you cut. It extends the life of the blade and prevents burning of your wood.  It is a good habit to get into.

With a little time, you will be able to tell when your blade is worn.  Relatively speaking, blades are very cheap and trying to use old, worn blades just doesn't make sense to me.  When you consider how much you invest in the wood for your project (and your time!) using a fresh and sharp blade is something that should be considered a "no brainer."  If you think it is dragging and dull, it probably is.  It would be much worth it to change to a fresh blade and get the most from your cutting. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:31:42 am »
Nicely stated Shelia
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 08:33:44 am »
I couldn't have said it any better.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline sweet saw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:01 am »
I never save old blades.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:35:01 am »
Shelia has given you some good advice and I need to follow it also, but, I do save my FD blades that are not too badly worn, to cut, as she said, some very hard turns in thin material. I also buy cheaper blades in the 0 to1 gauge to cut very delicate cuts. I know the more experienced scrollers do not need to do this, but, right now it saves me from ruining a piece I have spent a lot of time on. It doesn't take long to change a blade, but, it takes a while to start over on a piece.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:12:15 am »
I tell my students when the blade no longer cuts the way it did when it was new, it's time to change it. Wether it lasts 30 minutes or 30 seconds!
I personally never save old blades. Blades are cheap. When I start a new project, I want a fresh blade. For me, it's not worth ruining a project because I wanted to save a few pennies. If I want a slightly dull blade fo a delicate cut, I dull the blade by cutting in other areas until its dull enough, but that does no happen often for me.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:15 pm »
What was said before, you can feel when you have to push the wood to get it to cut then its worn out, But I take a another piece of scrap I have some 1/2 inch ply that I feed the blade through and use a new section of the blade till it gets worn out then toss it. I start with a new blade when I start fretwork so it cuts clean and fresh then work out to the outside where its easier to sand smooth.

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

I also suggest applying a layer of clear packaging tape over all hardwood that you cut. It extends the life of the blade and prevents burning of your wood.  It is a good habit to get into.

Sheila

I also find when you put the packing tape on your wood and then put the pattern on the tape the pattern comes off easier. When it comes to dull blades I dont worry, most my blades tend to break probably about the time they are dull.

king310

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »
I thought I was the only one who did that troy.  :o :o ;D ;D

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »
I actually put painters tape on wood glue pattern on tape then put packing tape over pattern. Might just be me but seems like it helps makeing blades last longer, plus packing tape helps with handleing the project can grip the wood better to spin it.

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:08 am »
Sometimes I scroll away forgetting about the blade.  When the piece does not slide out both to the top and the bottom, I know it is starting to get dull.  When I do the final cut around the piece I want it to be 90 degrees.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »
I also put packing tape on first and glue the pattern to the tape. For me, the patterns comes off easier.  Plus I do not like to have to spritz with mineral spirits, especially in the winter when it takes longer to dry and even longer for the smell to go away.Packing tape on tp creates a bad glare for me.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Becky

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
Another sign I have noticed of a dulling blade is that it becomes harder to keep to the pattern line.  Most likely that is me unconsciously pushing harder or something.  Whatever the case, when I suddenly have trouble staying on the lines, I change blades. 

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:42 am »
all has been said, but for me, like Becky said, if it's hard to follow the pattern lines, (it feels likes that the blade is getting his own life) I change the blade.  :D

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi