Author Topic: Hi -0 from North East England  (Read 2063 times)

PaulK

Hi -0 from North East England
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:23:11 pm »
Hi everyone.

I'm Paul, up in the North East of the UK, retired and nearly 61. Good to see some fellow countrymen logging into the site and a wide distribution from many other countries.

I have been scroll sawing for almost two years now and slowly heading towards a reasonable standard of work, I think.

One real problem I have is getting thin hardwood sheet at a fair price. I have been treated well by some timber yards selling hardwood offcuts but you need some machinery to cut down 12" wide by 4" thick stock. Sometimes the timber yard will use their huge bandsaw and help on this one, but often they are too busy. Any thoughts for a good supply of hardwood in the UK would be much appreciated

Happy cutting to all!

Regards - Paul

cornishpisky

Re: Hi -0 from North East England
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:21:43 pm »
Hi Paul, I have the same problem finding nice wood to saw, you could have a look at www.alwayshobbies.com they have hardwood boards in thicknesses from 0.8mm to 6.0mm but only 4" wide, ok for small stuff but i find wider boards hard to find and always expensive.

All the best
                 Ian

jabak

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:18:34 pm »
Hi Paul
I had this problem with thin hardwoods but solved it by investing in a Small 8" wide Planer thicknesser (Reconditioned I might add)  and I purchase timber from ebay or use older style furniture for a timber source this works for me as I rarley need wood wider than 8" there are some timber merchants on ebay who will send a mix of hardwood sawn at around 3/8" which when planed comes down to 1/4 nicely
happy scrolling
regards
John

cherie

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »
Good afternoon Paul.  Welcome to the forum.  You are not alone when it comes to finding 1/8 to 1/4 inch wood.  I do mostly ornaments and do with whatever I can find.  I have found a store close to where I live that sells the baltic birch ply at a price I can afford.  I get many pieces out of it.  Other than that I usually travel to several mills like everyone else.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
Hello from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi