Author Topic: Bubble-wrap  (Read 1723 times)

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
Bubble-wrap
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:54:01 am »
Insulate Windows With Bubble-wrap Year Round
I read this tip in my favorite magazine, Mother Earth News, a few years ago, and finally got around to trying it this year. It works!
Instead of expensive window insulation kits that are hard to install and can be used only one year, try this: buy bubble wrap. Cut it to fit each window. Dampen the window and apply the bubble wrap, flat side to the window. It's that simple. It lets the light through, looks a bit like glass block windows, and does keep the room warmer. If I touch the bubble wrap then touch the window, the wrap is definitely warmer. My bedroom is about 4 degrees warmer this year!
If the wrap comes off or you lift it up for any reason, just re-dampen the window, and it's good as new. At the end of the cold weather, I will remove the wrap, and roll it up separately for each window with a note in the middle to tell me which window it goes on, then I'll store it until next year. I bought my bubble-wrap at Walmart, about $4.50 for 100 feet. A roll and a half did all of my windows (except the one by the computer, since I watch the birds at my feeder through that one). The kits in the store cost a LOT more, and next year, this is free!
Source: Mother Earth News
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
Re: Bubble-wrap
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:57:00 am »
Oh My!  What didn't I think of this.  I get tons of bubble wrap in the mail when I order items on line.  Thanks for the great tip. 
ChelCass

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:18:58 pm »
How about washing the windows?
Or can you was the bubble-wrap?
FD Mike

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »
Great idea. Did you use the wrap with the small or large bubbles? I'd like to try this but my wife probably wouldn't go for it. She likes to look outside and complains if the window is dirty.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

rfarmer

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »
Great idea. Did you use the wrap with the small or large bubbles? I'd like to try this but my wife probably wouldn't go for it. She likes to look outside and complains if the window is dirty.
I know what ya mean but i am thinking, even after putting in double pane windows, I might try this to save a little more money. (Not that it get's to cold in "(TEXAS)")

king310

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:18:00 pm »
That makes me wonder if I could make some pants and shirt to keep warm? ::)

IBMer

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »
King,  Bubblewrap pants are great idea.  You could stay warm and entertain the kids when you sit or walk..  Pop, Pop, Pop...

I have to ask, how do you see out your windows with bubblewrap on them?   Wouldn't everything look weird?   I guess it would serve as a privacy factor since anyone looking in will also see a blurry shape at most.

SMF

Teknoromi